Engineering Manager, Enterprise Data Foundation
Komodo Health, Chicago
Making healthcare make sense.
We Breathe Life Into Data!
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of disease. Smarter use of data is essential to this mission. We combine the world’s most comprehensive view of patient encounters with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical expertise to power our Healthcare Map, the industry’s most precise view of the U.S. healthcare system. With the Healthcare Map as our foundation, we offer a suite of powerful software applications that deliver exceptional value to the industry.
Our people are the center of our success. We are a smart, supportive team with diverse perspectives and a shared passion for fixing what’s broken in healthcare. It’s fun, challenging and important. Join us!
The Opportunity at Komodo Health
The Engineering Manager for our Enterprise Data function is focused on bringing strategic and technical direction to our data platform and continuing to build depth and provide mentorship to the engineers on the team. You’ll be instrumental in leading “data first” technical teams and driving overall architecture of new product initiatives that provide actionable insights to improve health outcomes. You will closely collaborate with Product Management in developing a strategic product roadmap, handle tactical resource planning, and own key technical decisions for some of the most fundamental and challenging problems we choose to tackle as a data-first company. The leadership and coaching you provide will grow our engineers, empower them to do their best work, and improve our development processes. You will foster a culture of collaboration, trust, and technical expertise while launching high quality products aligned with our mission.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you will have:
- Managed, coordinated, and delivered on key initiatives such as developing new complex product features, improving data quality, addressing platform security concerns, and enhancing release automation.
- Partnered with other teams across the Engineering organization and closely with Product Management, Program Management, and Technical Leads to weigh in on project priorities, project estimation, and risk identification for roadmap projects.
- Directly collaborated and offered critical direction and feedback on technical architecture design reviews while defining a strong long term technical strategy aligned with industry best practices.
- Actively coached and inspired your team with timely and actionable feedback synthesized from peer feedback.
- Collaborated with Product Managers, Data Engineers and Data Scientists to implement data validation and/or data quality enhancements.
- Discussed and planned your team’s individual career goals around professional growth and technical expertise.
- Contributed to hiring and growing the team by recruiting engineers and improving our hiring processes
What You Bring to Komodo
- Engineering management experience with enterprise-level data platforms (shared, central data model and associated interfaces) in high-growth engineering organizations, directly managing and growing 10+ engineers.
- You have in-depth experience with modern data architectures and analytics architectures, data pipeline development, or semantic layers / interfaces. AWS managed services preferred. You do not need to be an expert, but should be able to probe proposed solutions to ensure soundness of approach.
- You have a working knowledge of a modern programming language (Python preferred), data pipeline engineering, relational database design, web platform development, API design, or distributed systems. You do not need to be an expert coder, but should be able to critique code organization and approach as needed.
- Expertise with industry standard data pipeline and processing tools (Spark, AWS EMR, Hadoop) and data warehousing (Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery)
- Experience collaborating with Product and Engineering teams to build a high-level roadmap and vision for a team delivering against a collaboratively defined roadmap.
- A deep understanding of how cross-functional teams work at a software product company and experience managing such teams.
- Understand and design for non-functional concerns such as performance, cost optimization, and maintainability
- Experience leading recruiting initiatives, as well as growing and organizing engineering teams.
- Ability to work as part of an agile collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
Curiosity piqued? Learn more about us!
- Komodo Health Acquires Breakaway Partners
- Komodo Health Secures $220M in Series E funding led by Tiger Global
- Komodo Health Acquires Mavens, Series D funding led by ICONIQ Growth
- Wealthfront: The 2021 Career Launching Companies List
- In Conversation with Dr. Arif Nathoo, Komodo Health’s CEO
- Komodo Health’s ‘Meet a Dragon’ series
- Komodo’s Values that Drive our Culture
About Komodo Health
Komodo Health was founded on our collective experiences navigating the ever-expanding, dynamic, and challenging data environment in healthcare. We see the scale and speed at which data are expanding outpace technologies that are currently used to find and act on signals. By leveraging the same foundational big data technologies found in other industries, we’re able to drive better intelligence in healthcare.
Want to learn more about Komodo Health? Visit Komodo Health's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.