Jr. 3D Printing Texture Artist
LAIKA, Hillsboro, OR
Connecting the New with the Timeless to Tell Enduring Stories
The Jr. 3D Printing Texture Artist is responsible for painting surface textures on animated characters, props and environments for use with a 3D color printer.
- Work from a painted maquette or 2D color line up to develop the look of selected characters and props by creating textures using CG texture tools, to be produced through a 3D color printing palette.
- Partner with the RP CG Modeling, CG Rigging, Fabrication, Technical Development, and 3D Printing teams to develop color assets for selected characters, and to troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Consistently photograph 3D printed assets, evaluate their color and surface detail, and make adjustments to the CG texture maps to achieve the desired look.
- Establish and follow the look of design projects under the supervision of the Director of RP and in collaboration with the Puppet Paint team.
- Meet schedules and deadlines as established by production management.
- 1 - 2 years production experience in commercials or entertainment industry as a digital Texture Artist.
- Strong Photoshop skills.
- Knowledge of 3D texture and UV layout and editing.
- Ability to adapt to a large variety of styles including integration with live-action, stop motion, cartoon, and photo real elements.
- Skills/experience with Mari a plus.
- Traditional painting skills a plus.
- Experience in CG modeling and lighting a plus.
- Experience in advanced surface types global illumination and subsurface scattering a plus.
- Basic photography experience a plus.
Physical Demands and Work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate. In certain assignments, an employee may occasionally work near moving equipment and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, airborne fumes and loud, prolonged noise (hearing protection required when using power tools).
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement.
Founded in 2005, LAIKA has grown to occupy a unique and distinctive place in American cinema by continuously expanding the boundaries of the 120-year-old technique of stop-motion animation. We are a community of storytellers, artists, inventors, technicians, and craftspeople from around the world, committed to fusing filmmaking’s state-of-the-art technologies with a handmade animation tradition as old as film itself. Our mission is to bring to the screen the kinds of emotional, innovative, and exhilarating stories we as filmmakers loved growing up. Our first feature film was 2009’s Oscar®-nominated Coraline, followed by the Oscar®- and BAFTA-nominated ParaNorman in 2012. The Boxtrolls hit theaters in 2014, garnering the studio its third straight Oscar® nomination. Our fourth film, Kubo and the Two Strings, will be released in the summer of 2016.
Want to learn more about LAIKA? Visit LAIKA's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Product Manager