Silicone and Foam Caster
LAIKA, Hillsboro, OR
Connecting the New with the Timeless to Tell Enduring Stories
Working under the supervision of the Head of Silicone and Foam, the Puppet Silicone and Foam Caster is responsible for the casting of soft puppet parts for eventual use as a performance puppet on the stop motion stage.
- Cast over armatures and/or other core components of the puppet so the mechanics are hidden and the finished component is consistent and well balanced in its look and performance.
- Trim the seam lines off the casts as they come off the molds.
- Find solutions for how to best disguise seams with appropriate material.
- Create identical duplicate character builds.
- Prepare build manuals for documentation and recipes.
- Organize inventory and reorder materials as needed.
- Balance priorities across workload and meet deadlines.
- Attend to silicone repairs.
- 3 years’ experience working with silicone and other casting materials.
- 2+ years’ experience in stop motion character fabrication preferred.
- Knowledge of assembly techniques.
- Understanding of various casting materials, such as urethane, foam, and silicone.
- Able to work in fine detail for extended periods of time under tight deadlines.
- Detail oriented.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate. In certain assignments, an employee may occasionally work near moving equipment and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, airborne fumes and loud, prolonged noise (hearing protection required when using power tools).
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Founded in 2005, LAIKA has grown to occupy a unique and distinctive place in American cinema by continuously expanding the boundaries of the 120-year-old technique of stop-motion animation. We are a community of storytellers, artists, inventors, technicians, and craftspeople from around the world, committed to fusing filmmaking’s state-of-the-art technologies with a handmade animation tradition as old as film itself. Our mission is to bring to the screen the kinds of emotional, innovative, and exhilarating stories we as filmmakers loved growing up. Our first feature film was 2009’s Oscar®-nominated Coraline, followed by the Oscar®- and BAFTA-nominated ParaNorman in 2012. The Boxtrolls hit theaters in 2014, garnering the studio its third straight Oscar® nomination. Our fourth film, Kubo and the Two Strings, will be released in the summer of 2016.
Want to learn more about LAIKA? Visit LAIKA's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.