LAIKA, Hillsboro, OR
Connecting the New with the Timeless to Tell Enduring Stories
Under the supervision of the Puppet Fabrication Supervisor and the Lead Digital Fabricator, the Digital Fabricator is responsible for creating digital components in the production of puppet bodies.
- Create digital puppet sculpts that are on scale and on model with character maquettes.
- Provide digital 3D templates of puppets for armature designers.
- Create highly precise digital molds and mold components for 3D printing.
- Perform and perfect tasks related to model reductions and grip block creation.
- Collaborate across departments and support build teams as it pertains to digital body molds and components.
- Contribute to asset library of joint arrays.
- Practically assemble and QC printed molds before handing off to downstream departments.
- Meet digital fabrication duties as required within production schedules while maintaining a high standard of quality.
- 2+ years’ experience with CG Modeling (hard surface modeling experience, preferred) and puppet or mold fabrication.
- Working knowledge of Maya, Zbrush, and Photoshop.
- Proficient in organic modeling.
- Basic understanding of rigging in Maya.
- Knowledge of MEL or Python, preferred.
- Prior experience with Rapid Prototyping/3D printing, preferred.
- Detail oriented.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate. In certain assignments, an employee may occasionally work near moving equipment and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, airborne fumes and loud, prolonged noise (hearing protection required when using power tools).
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement.
Founded in 2005, LAIKA has grown to occupy a unique and distinctive place in American cinema by continuously expanding the boundaries of the 120-year-old technique of stop-motion animation. We are a community of storytellers, artists, inventors, technicians, and craftspeople from around the world, committed to fusing filmmaking’s state-of-the-art technologies with a handmade animation tradition as old as film itself. Our mission is to bring to the screen the kinds of emotional, innovative, and exhilarating stories we as filmmakers loved growing up. Our first feature film was 2009’s Oscar®-nominated Coraline, followed by the Oscar®- and BAFTA-nominated ParaNorman in 2012. The Boxtrolls hit theaters in 2014, garnering the studio its third straight Oscar® nomination. Our fourth film, Kubo and the Two Strings, will be released in the summer of 2016.
Want to learn more about LAIKA? Visit LAIKA's website.
Software that predicts technology trends.