LendUp, Oakland, CA
Our mission is to provide anyone with a path to better financial health.
LendUp is a financial technology startup based in Oakland focused on transforming the subprime credit and lending space. We’re a Y-Combinator alum (YC W12) backed by prominent investors such as Google Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, and Kapor Capital. Our product is being used in 7 states and we’ve seen great press coverage in the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, CNN, NBC, TechCrunch, Venturebeat, Inc, Wired, Bloomberg, Fortune, and Dow Jones, amongst others.
LendUp is looking for an Account Coordinator to join our Customer Insights team. You would be an early hire in a fast-growing startup conveniently located next to the 19th Street Bart in the heart of downtown Oakland. If you are excited about building scalable, highly available systems, then this is the right role for you.
While exercising independent judgment and discretion, this position is responsible for managing customer service accounts efficiently and with a high degree of quality. Success in this position requires collaboration with team members to deliver the desired customer experience while meeting internal/external obligations. This is an entry-level position within Customer Operations that provides the training and development needed to advance to the Account Manager role.
What we’re doing:
At LendUp we are on a mission to provide anyone with a pathway to better financial health. Millions of people don’t have access to quality credit. Their options are often limited and unfair, and it’s easy to become trapped in a debt cycle. This is the first problem LendUp set out to solve, by applying our combined expertise in software, data science, credit, and education, to our shared passion for financial health and dignity.
Our core product, the LendUp Ladder, is an alternative to payday loans that transforms a trap into an opportunity to borrow at lower rates and build credit. And every day, we see our customers succeed. We’re building additional financial products that will help us further accelerate our mission of providing anyone with a path to better financial health.
- Handle day-to-day account management issues for our newly established and returning customers.
- Educate customers on LendUp products and how we can help them.
- Use innovation and collaboration to constantly raise the bar in account servicing.
- Take ownership of customer issues and follow through to resolution.
- Work closely with other team members to share best practices for account servicing.
- In the handling of our products and customers, adhere to federal and state regulations and internal compliance policies.
- Consistently update job knowledge by studying new product descriptions.
- Participate in a range of training opportunities offered.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience in Customer Support or Sales required.
- Experience in a fast paced environment that requires timeliness, consistent attendance and good time management required.
- Financial Services background a plus.
- Associate or Bachelor degree preferred.
- Good personal leadership & teamwork capabilities including collaboration, effective time management and strong organizational skills.
- High attention to detail required including excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills to help identify issues and recommend solutions.
- Demonstrates initiative and an ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Savvy with the use of technology & software.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
LendUp has all the things you’d expect from a mission-driven company, like a competitive salary; early stage equity; 100% company paid medical, dental and vision insurance; generous vacation/sick leave policy; catered, free lunch; kitchens fully stocked with snacks; 401(k).
But here’s what we really love about LendUp Life:
- We’re committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that spurs innovation and creates a meaningful and impactful work environment
- We have fun together at our bi-weekly happy hours, quarterly team building events, company-sponsored volunteerism, hackathons, and sports teams, including a few fantasy sports leagues
- One of our values is “different backgrounds, same mission.” We are passionate about diverse candidates and have slack channels dedicated to everything from philosophy to sports to hip hop
LendUp is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition, or any other reason protected by law.
ABOUT LENDUP We believe access to quality credit is a right for everyone. Even those that banks won’t approve. Forty-seven percent of Americans could not cover a $400 emergency expense (or would have to borrow money or sell their belongings to do so). In addition, over half of the U.S. has a FICO score below 680, meaning they can’t be approved for credit by most banks according to a 2015 Federal Reserve Board study. That’s more than 150 million people who don’t have enough access to credit, leaving them unprepared to handle a car repair, hospital visit, or even an electricity bill coming due before a paycheck clears. Most options for this consumer segment aren’t linked to the formal financial sector, and the options that do exist don’t help people build the credit score necessary to open the door to more choices. So they continue to just get by — but they never get ahead. Worse, estimates from Credit Builders Alliance show that people with a low credit score will pay $250,000 more for financial services over the course of their lives. We want to fix that. We believe credit can provide peace of mind. Relief. Room to breathe. And room to grow. So our vision for our customers in eligible states is universal access to credit that expands over time — and along the way, we give them the chance to improve their credit scores, too.