Data Service Engineer
LendUp, Richmond, VA
Our mission is to provide anyone with a path to better financial health.
LendUp builds technology, credit products, and educational experiences for the 56% of the adults in the US, who are currently shut out of mainstream banking because of poor credit or volatile income. That’s a lot of hardworking, deserving people who we believe did not have good options, until now.
Our mission is to provide anyone with a path to better financial health. Being a socially responsible, machine learning-enabled financial services company is a big job, but we’re driven by the challenge. Now in our sixth year, we’re growing each and every day as we continue to bring our mission to life. Join our passionate team and help us turn our mission into a movement.
LendUp is headquartered in downtown San Francisco with an office in Richmond, VA. We’re backed by prominent Silicon Valley investors including Y-Combinator, Google Ventures, PayPal, Susa Ventures, Data Collective, Kleiner Perkins, Andreessen Horowitz Seed Fund, Kapor Capital, QED, Eagle Cliff Investors, Thomvest Ventures, Alexis Ohanian, Troy Carter, and many others.
About the role:
LendUp is recruiting world class Data Service Engineer. As part of a rapidly growing team, you have the opportunity to directly impact the path of the broader org. This is a unique opportunity to shape and define the role and we are looking for a self-starter that enjoys large systems which export data of high quality via process and functional controls. You will be asked to wear multiple hats at times, delving into many related spaces.
- Work with business consumers of data to understand and document their data needs and how best to solve for those needs
- Analyze current business processes and associated data to understand the data and how it can be leveraged to meet the business objectives
- Be responsible for working with data producers to extract data and publish to warehouse
- Work closely with the business unit partner team which produces data, helping them move their data into the LendUp data pipeline consistently and accurately
- Set up controls and standards for data consistency and comprehensiveness
- Define data stewardship with partner data producers
- Work with Data Engineering to further build tools and infrastructure to support data pipelines
- Work to improve processes for determining, investigating and resolving data quality issues, and an on-going process for maintaining quality data, and defining data quality audit procedures, in conjunction with other Data team members
- Ensure data needs are fully integrated into new initiatives and applications on partner producer teams
- Experience building data solutions involving data warehousing, big data, ETL, and cloud technologies
- Familiarity with data visualization and business intelligence tools
- Experience working with data management tools associated with metadata, data quality, and governance
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field with 4+ years of data management experience
- Experience working under Data Governance principles, standards and procedures
- Quantitative and analytic skills with strong emphasis on solving edge cases and details
- Experience resolving and communicating about issues with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks
- Financial services experience a plus but not required
LendUp has all of the things you’d expect, like a competitive salary; early stage equity; 100% company paid medical, dental and vision insurance; generous vacation/sick leave policy; catered, free lunch; fully stocked kitchens with free healthy snacks; free onsite gym; and a 401(k) program.
But here’s what we really love about life at LendUp:
- We are driven by having a lasting impact on the world and knowing that our time is spent positively impacting the lives of others. We are strategists and doers, because we know that both matter when it comes to achieving our lofty mission..
- One of our values is Different Backgrounds, Same Mission. We’re committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that spurs innovation and creates a meaningful and impactful work environment. We are passionate participants in our employee resource groups (LeanIn, LGBTQ & Allies, and Black Ladders) and have Slack channels dedicated to everything from philosophy to sports to hip-hop
- We have fun together at our weekly happy hours, quarterly team building events, company-sponsored volunteerism, hackathons, and sports teams.
- Our dog-friendly SF office.
LendUp is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition, or any other reason protected by law.
ABOUT LENDUP We believe access to quality credit is a right for everyone. Even those that banks won’t approve. Forty-seven percent of Americans could not cover a $400 emergency expense (or would have to borrow money or sell their belongings to do so). In addition, over half of the U.S. has a FICO score below 680, meaning they can’t be approved for credit by most banks according to a 2015 Federal Reserve Board study. That’s more than 150 million people who don’t have enough access to credit, leaving them unprepared to handle a car repair, hospital visit, or even an electricity bill coming due before a paycheck clears. Most options for this consumer segment aren’t linked to the formal financial sector, and the options that do exist don’t help people build the credit score necessary to open the door to more choices. So they continue to just get by — but they never get ahead. Worse, estimates from Credit Builders Alliance show that people with a low credit score will pay $250,000 more for financial services over the course of their lives. We want to fix that. We believe credit can provide peace of mind. Relief. Room to breathe. And room to grow. So our vision for our customers in eligible states is universal access to credit that expands over time — and along the way, we give them the chance to improve their credit scores, too.