If you aren't completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please reach out anyways. Humility is a wonderful thing - we're at least as interested in your character as in your talent.
We're looking for a Backend Scala Engineer to be a part of our Tech team! If you love creating something great, enjoy challenges and want to be a part of a fast-growing, global company, this role is for you.
We’ve built a company where you can do impactful work surrounded by great people. We have a well-defined, mature culture, and we’re always working to make it better. letgo hires amazing people, not just amazing “talent” — character is just as important to us as technical expertise. If the opportunity below sounds exciting but you're not sure if you fit all the requirements, we'd still love to learn more about you.
What we have:
- 10 microservices in Scala, 30 microservices in PHP, 3 microservices in GO (and growing). Most of them are pretty new but there’s also some legacy. 😛
- Our stack: Akka, Akka HTTP, Akka Streams, Cats, Slick, SNS-SQS, DynamoDB, MariaDB, ELK, Grafana, Kafka, Jenkins CI...
- Our full stack: https://stackshare.io/letgo
- Squad-based teams made up of backend engineers, mobile/front-end engineers, QA, Ops, product manager and engineering manager.
- Several daily deploys per microservice.
- Design and implement new features (both in existing and new microservices).
- Add valuable tests.
- Improve systems’ performance and scalability.
- Deliver value to our users. Deploying is included in our Definition of Done.
- Triage, diagnose and solve problems in our services used by millions of users per day.
We’re looking for candidates with:
- Experience with Scala or, at least, another JVM language (Java, Kotlin, Clojure...)
- Strong knowledge of best practices (we love SOLID!).
- JVM knowledge.
- Interest in functional programming.
- Testing mindset.
- Experience working with Agile methodologies (we use Scrum and Kanban).
- Ability to proactively find and solve problems.
- Understanding of the importance of iteration and improvement. Don’t fall in love with your code.
- Appreciation for both developing high quality software and delivering value to users quickly.
- A sense of humor.
- Generous benefits package.
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Beautiful, recently renovated office close to the beach in Barcelona (with a spectacular rooftop terrace!).
- Career path with a training budget and a monthly “letgo:tech unconference” (OpenSpace) in the office.
- Robust relocation package.
- Physical therapy in Barcelona office.
- Fully stocked kitchens.
- Team building activities.
- Language and other courses.
- Sports: GymForLess, yoga classes in the office, basketball, futsal and volleyball teams.
letgo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to letgo's values. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
With over 100M downloads and 400M listings, letgo is the biggest and fastest growing app to buy and sell locally. With innovative features like video listings and letgo Reveal, the free app makes it easy to list what you don’t need and find great deals nearby on anything you do. Listing something is as simple as taking a photo because letgo’s technology automatically suggests a title, price and category. letgo was founded in 2015 by Alec Oxenford and Jordi Castello, with cofounder Enrique Linares joining soon after Business Insider calls letgo “the go-to app for selling your stuff” and it’s been featured by The New York Times, The Today Show, Fast Company, Wall Street Journal, Fortune and thousands of others worldwide.
Based in our New York and Barcelona offices, our team of over +270 represents more than 40 nationalities. Fueled by our diverse expertise, letgo's goal is to build the largest marketplace of its kind in the world. We’re looking for people who are as passionate as we are about creating something our users love and - just as importantly - who are excited by the challenge.
letgo is an environment where you will learn, be challenged, and grow. We offer the opportunity to build world-class technology, innovate, research, and work autonomously, alongside some of the brightest minds.
With over 100M downloads and 400M listings, letgo is the biggest and fastest growing app to buy and sell locally. One of America’s most popular apps, letgo’s marketplace is filled with everything from electronics, cars and collectibles to housing, clothing and furniture. With innovative features like video listings and letgo Reveal, the free app makes it easy to list what you don’t need and find great deals nearby on anything you do. Listing something is as simple as taking a photo because letgo’s technology automatically suggests a title, price and category. letgo was founded in 2015 by Alec Oxenford and Jordi Castello, with cofounder Enrique Linares joining soon after. Business Insider calls letgo “the go-to app for selling your stuff” and it’s been featured by The New York Times, The Today Show, Fast Company, The Wall Street Journal, Fortune and many others worldwide.
Be a Better letgo Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at letgo when you watch classes taught by their top employees.