Engineering Manager, Data
Liftoff, Multiple location options - USA (see below for details)
Fueling Mobile Growth
At Liftoff+Vungle, we’re solving one of the core problems faced by every mobile app: growth. To do so, we build Machine Learning and Big Data-driven technology that can accurately predict which apps a user will like, and connect them in a compelling way. Our systems operate at a scale unseen outside of the largest Internet companies -- processing over 4 million requests per second and interacting with over a billion users a week. Our technology is innovative and we have strong product-market fit; as a result, we're profitable and seeing tremendous growth.
Across our engineering teams, we offer a wide range of opportunities for different skill levels and experiences.
The Data Engineering team is responsible for the efficiency, quality, and availability of Liftoff+Vungle data for both internal and external consumption. This role will help drive the operational planning and success of Data Availability, Engineering and Operations while also championing new technologies and methodologies which lead to more efficient Data ingestion and utilization. The Engineering Manager, Data is responsible for working as a part of the Data Engineering team on data availability planning and capacity planning, and working collaboratively with stakeholders including executives, Product, and the larger Engineering organization to support data needs while assisting with data related technical issues.
Ideally we would like this role to be on a flexible hybrid (1-2 days/week in-office) schedule attached to one of our California offices: San Francisco, Redwood City, or Los Angeles.
But we are open to placing this role remote in any of our US entities as long as you are (1) able to work Pacific timezone hours and (2) willing to travel to the SF Bay Area for in-person meetings 1-2 days per month.
Note: pending the global situation, this role may also be asked to travel to our Beijing office quarterly.
- Develop and execute data roadmap aligning with product and data science strategy
- Build partnership with cross functional teams with clear ways of working - software engineering, data science, product managers, business
- Recruit, Retain, Remove, Groom, and Grow team members
- Identify the data needed for a business problem and implement logging required to ensure availability of data, triage issues and resolve.
- Support existing processes running in production and implement optimized solutions with limited guidance
- Build data expertise and leverage data controls to ensure privacy, security, compliance, data quality, and operations for allocated areas of ownership
- Design, build, optimize, and maintain data extraction tool
- Responsible for ticket grooming, planning, code review and release planning
- Not afraid to get into coding from time to time to help the team
Desired skills and abilities
- BS/MS in computer science or a related field, or professional experience in data engineering and data management.
- Minimum of 8+ years of experience in Data Engineering or similar experience
- 2+ years managing people or leadership role
- 4+ years of experience in data warehouse
- 4+ years of experience in custom ETL design, implementation, and maintenance
- SQL statement skills
- Experience leveraging big data environments/frameworks to deploy analytical services
- Significant work experience in the following disciplines: data modeling, data integration, database design, data analysis, and data migration tools
- Extensive experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) DBMS
- Experience with cloud and other emerging technology solutions in enterprise data management.
- Experience implementing customer data integration / master data management processes.
- Experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Airflow)
- This position requires regular overseas travel to our China office located in Beijing.
Familiarities with the Technologies
- Python, Scala, Java, or Go
- Apache Airflow
- Redshift, memSQL, MySQL
- HBase, MongoDb, DynamoDb, Redis
- Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, RabbitMQ
- Jenkins/TravisCI, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Github
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of data challenge in RTB
- Working knowledge of AWS Lake Formation, Apache Iceberg, Databrick Delta Lake, or Hudi
- Efficient incremental join of time oriented data in a Petabyte environment
- Experience in real time analytic optimized, secure data lake on AWS S3 -- we want to build this!
Working at Liftoff+Vungle is fast-paced, fun, and challenging, and we thrive on innovation. Come join our team and help shape the future of the mobile app ecosystem. If this role sounds interesting to you, we would love to hear from you!
Liftoff+Vungle is committed to providing and maintaining a work environment where all employees and candidates are treated with dignity and respect and that is free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. Liftoff+Vungle is further committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates for employment free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of sex, gender (including sexual harassment, gender harassment, and harassment due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, gender nonconformity, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ancestry (including association, affiliation, or participation with persons or activities related to national origin, English-proficiency or accent, or immigration status), physical or mental disability, medical condition(s), genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual, marital or domestic partner status, age, veteran or military status, family care status, requesting or taking pregnancy, parental or disability leave, requesting an accommodation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance. All such discrimination and harassment is unlawful and will not be tolerated. Liftoff+Vungle maintains a continued commitment to equal employment opportunity and expects the full cooperation of all personnel.
Agency and Third Party Recruiter Notice:
Liftoff+Vungle does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or Recruiting Team. All candidates must be submitted via our Applicant Tracking System by approved Liftoff+Vungle vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Recruiting Team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Liftoff+Vungle Recruiting Team and such a candidate was submitted to the Liftoff+Vungle Recruiting Team via our Applicant Tracking System.
We began Liftoff in August, 2012 with the mission to revolutionize how mobile app marketers build and grow an active, engaged user base. Our approach was to design the first truly ROI-optimized mobile acquisition and retention platform for non-gaming apps. We set our sights on enabling marketers to run campaigns focused on finding users who will take meaningful actions beyond the install, like register for an account, book a hotel room or make a purchase. This is how mobile app marketing should work.
Since our launch, Liftoff has grown to become a leader in the mobile marketing industry, powering cost-per-action optimized app marketing and re-engagement campaigns for some of the world’s greatest brands.
Want to learn more about Liftoff? Visit Liftoff's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.