Senior Mechanical Engineer - CFRP Structures
The Lilium Jet All-electric. Affordable. With the Push of a Button.
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 600 people who are as passionate about emissions-free transportation as you are.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
You will report directly to the Head of Mechanical Engineering. The Mechanical Engineering Team is responsible for designing and developing the structural components of our aircraft across the entire life cycle - from concept through to detailed design, testing and into serial production.
As a Mechanical Engineer for CFRP Structures you will be part of an interdisciplinary IPT (Integrated Project Team) responsible for the design of the Aircraft primary and secondary structure, the landing gear system and several additional systems of our Lilium Jet from prototype into serial production.
From mechanical or composite parts design to mechanical systems development you'll play a key role in bringing our innovative aircraft to life.
Your Day to Day:
- Design the aircraft structure in concert with other engineering groups and departments
- Design of composite structures with attention towards high volume production
- Assist in the development of manufacturing, integration, and test processes and procedures
- Support the system development from concept to production, resolving any design, manufacturing and assembly issues along the way
- Define and manage requirements
- Create certification related documentation
- Check and approval of technical 2D drawings for manufacturing release
- Support the team members in any CFRP sizing, design and manufacturing related topics
- Constantly learn new things – and share them with your team members
- Work on any ad hoc related projects or tasks
- University degree in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical/Vehicle Engineering (aerospace specialization, MSc/M.Eng preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in the aerospace industry is required
- Strong knowledge of a CAD system is required (Siemens NX is preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of ISO GPS (alternatively ASME GD&T) and overall good drafting skills are required
- Basic knowledge with PDM/PLM systems (Teamcenter or equivalent) is beneficial
- Basic knowledge of Fibersim is beneficial
- Strong hand calculation abilities and FEA experience is beneficial
- Extensive experience with composite structural design is required
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs is required
- Experience developing and working to system requirements is required
- Experience with working with various suppliers and managing deliverables is beneficial
- Excellent understanding of general design principles and technical correlations is required
- Strong motivation to help build structures and processes is required
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously is required
- Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills is required
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment is required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Life at Lilium:
You are joining us as we are building our global footprint. While the current COVID-19 restrictions mean that many of us are working remotely we are still making the most out of this time. Meet fellow colleagues via our culture sessions and free weekly yoga classes, or improve your German or English with our free language courses.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
About us Lilium is a disruptive aviation start-up based in Munich. Co-founded in 2015 by Daniel Wiegand, Sebastian Born, Patrick Nathen and Matthias Meiner, the team brings together international world-class engineers and designers. The group shares the vision of a completely new type of individual transportation and is dedicated to develop and build the world’s first fully electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) jet. An estimated range of up to 300 km and a top speed of 300 km/h, along with zero emissions make it the most efficient and eco-friendly individual means of transportation of our time. By providing ultra-redundancy, the Lilium Jet will also set new standards in safety. Lilium aims at liberating towns and cities from today’s congestion and pollution, with people able to come and go freely, vastly expanding the radius of their everyday lives.
Want to learn more about Lilium? Visit Lilium's website.
Help the world share their story