Principal Design Engineer - Propulsion
The Lilium Jet All-electric. Affordable. With the Push of a Button.
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary, yet with a meaningful purpose. We take pride in pushing the very boundaries of technology and customer experience to deliver something that has never been done before.
What we do here is hard, but then very few things worth achieving are easy. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with our world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 400 leaders, experts and engineers who are as passionate about emissions-free transportation as you are.
We are also passionate about creating an inclusive culture, with more than 40 nationalities working with us to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
You will report directly to the Head of Mechanical Engineering. The Mechanical Engineering Team is responsible for designing and developing the structural components of our aircraft across the entire life cycle - from concept through detailed design, testing and serial production.
As a Principal Design Engineer for Propulsion you will be responsible for the technical execution on all aspects of the design of our ducted fans.
You will be part of an interdisciplinary IPT (Integrated Project Team) responsible for the development of our innovative all-electric engines and the flaps they are part of. The flaps are used to propel the aircraft in different flight conditions, based on the concept of thrust vectoring.
Your Day to Day:
- Lead the design of the engine, in order to meet the requirements
- Provide technical leadership, propose innovative solutions when needed
- Define the requirements and organize the technical development of the sub-systems
- Manage the interfaces with other systems
- Ensure high-quality engineering standards, responsible for the design documentation
- Continuously monitor and grow the design maturity level
- Provide regular updates to the IPT Leader on the engineering design progress
- Take active part in the hiring process and help us find excellent engineers
- Masters Degree or PhD in Aeronautics, Physics, Electrical / Mechanical Engineering or equivalent is required
- 10-15 years experience in Chief Engineering Office environment is required
- Extensive experience with aircraft propulsion systems is required
- Aerospace background and proven track record in complex engineering projects execution is required
- Demonstrated experience managing all technical aspects in engineering life-cycle from requirements definition to production is required
- Excellent generalist capabilities and quickly adopting any new technical field are required
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs is required
- Extensive experience developing and working to system requirements is required
- Extensive experience with working with various suppliers and managing deliverables is required
- Extensive experience with aerospace certification processes is required
- Excellent understanding of general design principles and technical correlations is required
- Strong motivation to help build and shape our organization, structures and processes is required
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously is required
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem solving skills is required
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment is required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, Fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Life at Lilium:
At Lilium, you’ll have the responsibility and freedom to act as an entrepreneur. You’ll be working with bright and driven colleagues from different industries, countries and backgrounds who are all united in one common goal, challenging and supporting each other to make Lilium successful.
As well as free language courses, weekly yoga sessions, two complimentary meals each day and unlimited snacks and drinks, we also have an in-house gym and a relaxation room. By pairing that with a free shuttle bus to and from our local train station, as well as bikes you can borrow to cycle around our campus, we aim to make it as easy as possible to travel here, while reducing our own carbon footprint. We also have a rooftop terrace where you can watch planes taking off all day long!
In order to build a world-class team, we welcome people from all over the world. We’ll support you on every step of your journey, offering a relocation allowance and documentation for visa application.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
About us Lilium is a disruptive aviation start-up based in Munich. Co-founded in 2015 by Daniel Wiegand, Sebastian Born, Patrick Nathen and Matthias Meiner, the team brings together international world-class engineers and designers. The group shares the vision of a completely new type of individual transportation and is dedicated to develop and build the world’s first fully electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) jet. An estimated range of up to 300 km and a top speed of 300 km/h, along with zero emissions make it the most efficient and eco-friendly individual means of transportation of our time. By providing ultra-redundancy, the Lilium Jet will also set new standards in safety. Lilium aims at liberating towns and cities from today’s congestion and pollution, with people able to come and go freely, vastly expanding the radius of their everyday lives.
Want to learn more about Lilium? Visit Lilium's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Full Stack Engineer
Enjoy, Palo Alto, CA