Senior Thermal Engineer - Propulsion
The Lilium Jet All-electric. Affordable. With the Push of a Button.
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 700 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Thermal Engineer with a proven industry track record to join our innovative team and shape the future of urban e-mobility. In this position you will become part of the rapidly growing Calculation Department, working closely with engineers from various disciplines in the propulsion integrated project team.
Our Calculation Team works alongside highly qualified engineers using low and high-fidelity calculation and optimization methods to ensure our aircraft and systems achieve our performance targets. We use state-of-the-art systems to deliver rapid results and encourage innovative thinking to achieve the best solutions.
Your Day to Day:
- Take the leading role for the thermal design and analysis of the propulsion system and its components, in particular for the electrical unit and electronics related systems and equipment
- Hold the main responsibility for thermal management devices and contribute to the engine design by providing cooling solutions based on sensitivity and trade studies
- Work closely together with engineers from interfacing disciplines to establish and run an efficient simulation-driven design and optimization process to ensure a timely delivery of the integrated propulsion system design
- Define models, test plans and metrics to support system tests to validate methods and design
- Continuously track the design progress, identify risks and develop mitigation strategies
- Author and review high quality technical documentation
- Actively support improving team efficiency by shaping processes and building methods and guidelines of the department
- Ad-hoc tasks and troubleshooting
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- 8+ years professional experience in a similar position with a proven track record in thermal analysis and design of rotating machinery, in particular electrical machines and power electronics
- Excellent skills in heat transfer modeling and hands-on experience with thermal networks and reduce order modeling
- Strong background in heat transfer mechanism and thermal design principles
- In-depth knowledge of fluid dynamics, conjugate heat transfer and their prediction with CFD methods
- Proficiency in working with CFD and FEM simulation tools (e.g., Star-CCM+, COMSOL, ANSYS), thermal network solvers (e.g., Amesim, Simscape), and coding languages (e.g., Python and Matlab)
- Proven experience in day-to-day management and coordination of medium sized project teams from different disciplines, e.g., system testing and calculation
- Strong motivation to help build and shape your organization, structures and processes
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Strong project management and technical leadership skills
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously
- Fluent English language skills are essential
Life at Lilium:
You are joining us as we are building our global footprint. While the current COVID-19 restrictions mean that many of us are working remotely, we are still making the most out of this time. Meet fellow colleagues via our culture sessions and free weekly yoga classes, or improve your German or English with our free language courses.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
About us Lilium is a disruptive aviation start-up based in Munich. Co-founded in 2015 by Daniel Wiegand, Sebastian Born, Patrick Nathen and Matthias Meiner, the team brings together international world-class engineers and designers. The group shares the vision of a completely new type of individual transportation and is dedicated to develop and build the world’s first fully electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) jet. An estimated range of up to 300 km and a top speed of 300 km/h, along with zero emissions make it the most efficient and eco-friendly individual means of transportation of our time. By providing ultra-redundancy, the Lilium Jet will also set new standards in safety. Lilium aims at liberating towns and cities from today’s congestion and pollution, with people able to come and go freely, vastly expanding the radius of their everyday lives.
Want to learn more about Lilium? Visit Lilium's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.