littleBits, San Francisco
An award-winning platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks for creating inventions large and small.
JAM creates online courses for kids ages 8 and up. We’re looking to level up our engineering team by adding an experienced senior full-stack engineer. In addition to contributing to our front- and back-end applications, a critical part of this role will be mentoring the rest of the team from a technical perspective. We’re looking for someone who is excited to talk through architectural discussions, is passionate about introducing best practices, and thrives on collaborating with folks from all walks of life.
What you’ll do:
- Be a mentor in front-end web, web services/API, and general best practices
- Write high-quality code that helps our customers achieve our mission
- Contribute to architecture and product definition
- Share knowledge and learn in an agile development process
- Rebuild the internal tools to make creating new courses a breeze
- Architect a client-side testing strategy
- Help create best practices for organizing CSS in a growing codebase
- Collaborate on improving our deployment processes
Skills/Experience you’ll need:
- 8+ years of combined front-end and back-end development
- Producing and consuming REST services
- Working with GraphQL services
- Building APIs that support mobile apps or microservices
- Relational databases and schema design
- Developing in a continuous integration environment (we use Travis and CircleCI)
- A history of caring about code quality: code review, linting tools, style guides, code quality assessment tools (e.g. code coverage/Code Climate)
- Working with product management teams and high-level business requirements
- Setting and meeting deadlines
- High emotional intelligence; experience talking through multiple strategies and helping the team unite in one direction
- Mentoring other team members through pair programming and evangelizing quality engineering practices
Nice to have:
- Experience producing/implementing GraphQL services
- Experience with Code Climate, CircleCI, and GitHub
- Experience with NoSQL databases like Redis and Neo4j
- Experience working with distributed teams
littleBits makes technology kits that are fun, easy-to-use, and infinitely creative. The kits are composed of electronic building blocks that are color-coded, magnetic, and make complex technology simple and fun. Together they’re interchangeable in millions of different ways to empower kids to invent anything - from a sibling alarm, to a wireless robot, to a digital instrument.
Want to learn more about littleBits? Visit littleBits's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.