We are looking for Android Software Engineers to join our Engineering team in Cape Town.
The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as individuals.
Together, we are upgrading the world of work to unleash the potential within and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the financial landscape, and to do so, well we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need rockstars. As simple as that.
A little about us:
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- We currently have over 5 million customers across 40 countries.
- We're part of the Digital Currency Group, a group of companies driving progress in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space that includes Grayscale, Genesis, Coindesk and Foundry Services
- Our platform has processed over $8 billion to date
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 43 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
How we work
Our engineering team (currently ~100 engineers) is split into organisations which we call Fleets. Each Fleet focuses on a core customer journey (onboarding, security, payments, support, new business, growth and marketing etc.). Each of these fleets contains multiple smaller teams called Pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of the product.
Pods will include a product owner, product designer, back-end engineers, Android, iOS and Web developers, who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards.
We're agile, use scrum, continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
We're building teams to help us succeed in our mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system. You’ll be joining a group of highly motivated software engineers who you’ll work collaboratively with across our pods.
As a fast-growing company with offices around the world, you’ll immediately see how your contributions directly impact both our internal users and client experience. Many of the problems we are solving result in trail blazing solutions which can’t be found on Stack Overflow; so we’re looking for engineers who flourish working in a complex domain.
In your first six months, you will:
...start at Luno by learning our processes, meeting the wider team and starting our engineering on-boarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics, you'll start learning our idiomatic patterns in a safe, easy-to-follow way - by building your own toy micro services. You'll get to practice how we do design docs, code reviews, deployments, events, logging and monitoring.
You’ll meet the Pod(s) you’ll be working with and quickly align on the teams’ current OKRs and product roadmap. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager and peers and will encourage you to do the same.
Your mission will involve:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design, build and ship new features for the Android platform.
- Write robust, reliable code that is testable, maintainable and directly contributes to the company's objectives and goals.
- Work on bug fixing and improving application performance.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Extensive experience building high-quality Android apps
- A deep understanding of the Android framework and relevant Android libraries
- A keen interest in mobile UX/UI design and Material Design
- Experience with technologies for networking and data persistence
- Experience with the Gradle build system
- Knowledge of app architecture patterns
- BSc/MSc/PhD in computer science or other technical discipline, or equivalent working experience
- A passion for software development, mobile technology and Bitcoin
- A friendly attitude with transparent and articulate communication, and a drive to succeed
- A work permit for South Africa if you are not a South African citizen
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all of the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent software engineers have diverse backgrounds.
Remote Life at Luno
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- You'll be able to continuously upskill yourself with access to free online learning via MyAcademy, an international teaching marketplace with over 100000 courses from Harvard and other leading providers + share knowledge with your peers.
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend..
- Annual Inspiration Day.. like that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We are a social bunch of people, we have virtual quarterly activities and drinks Fridays for whoever wants to join!
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts Monthly to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You'll need to hold the legal right to work in South Africa already as we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Be part of the change! 🚀
We believe that decentralised digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum will fundamentally change how the world views and uses money: cheaper, faster and safer transactions; more privacy and freedom; a significantly better user experience; and ultimately, more equality through giving everyone in the world access to the same financial system, no matter who they are or where they are from.
Today we are one of the world’s leading digital currency companies with a team of over 40 technology and finance experts, operating across several countries and continents. Our products and services make it safe and easy for people and businesses to store, buy, use and learn about digital currencies like Bitcoin.
Our vision is to empower billions of people by bringing digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum to everyone, everywhere.
Want to learn more about Luno? Visit Luno's website.
Brewing up the future, today.