Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the financial landscape, and to do so, well we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need rockstars. As simple as that.
A little about us:
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- We currently have over 3 million customers across 40 countries.
- We are series B funded, backed by Balderton Capital and the Naspers Group.
- Our platform has processed over 8 billion dollars since we launched.
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 43 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
The role in a nutshell:
We're building a team to help us succeed in our mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system. These positions are in a range of teams including fraud, platform, rewards, payments, shield, and onboarding. You’ll be joining a group of highly motivated software engineers who you’ll work collaboratively with across our pods.
As a fast-growing company with offices around the world, you’ll immediately see how your contributions directly impact both our internal users and client experience. Many of the problems we are solving result in trail blazing solutions which can’t be found on Stack Overflow; so we’re looking for engineers who flourish working in a complex domain.
We use Go as our back end language but if you come from a Java, Python or another programming language and are eager to learn a new language, our engineering on-boarding program will help you develop your skills.
Our teams are split into pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of our product. Your pod will include a product owner, back end engineers, Android and iOS developers, and web developers who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards. We're agile, use continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
Your mission will involve:
- You'll join a pod and contribute to their objective.
- You'll build distributed microservices that are accessed by 2.5m customers from across the globe.
- You'll share your experience to help mentor your teammates.
In your first six months, you will:
You will start by flying to Cape Town for two weeks to learn our processes, meet the wider team and start our engineering onboarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics, you'll start learning our idiomatic patterns in a safe, easy-to-follow way - by building your own toy micro services. You'll get to practice how we do design docs, code reviews, deployments, events, logging and monitoring.
After completing the Toy Services onboarding program, you'll begin your journey contributing to your pod's success. You'll help plan the next quarter's OKRs and will begin delivering features from our product roadmap. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager and peers and will encourage you to do the same.
The ideal Lunaut for this role, will have:
Building a new financial system for the world requires a special breed of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. “Moontality” represents the ten core principles that underpin everything we do, setting us apart from the rest.
- A passion for blockchain and cryptocurrencies (this is a new industry so we’ll help you learn about how the blockchain works and the technicals).
- A proven background in computer science in areas such as algorithms, data structures, and software design.
- Extensive programming experience in at least one language such as Go, Java, C++, C#, Python, etc.
- A continuous improvement mindset.
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all of the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent software engineers have diverse backgrounds.
Life at Luno
We're providing a phenomenal opportunity to learn more about cryptocurrencies, blockchain, emerging markets, and together we'll work together to scale a global business.
- You'll be able to continuously upskill yourself with access to free online learning via Udemy, an international teaching marketplace with over 100000 courses from Harvard and other providers + share knowledge with your peers..
- Visit our mothership in Cape Town for onboarding and our annual company offsite - we fly in everyone around the globe to Luno’s birth town to brainstorm and celebrate our successes.
- We'll take good care of your appetite with free lunch from Monday to Thursday.
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend..
- Annual Inspiration Day
- We are known for celebrating key milestones, wins and last but not least: life in general
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We are a social bunch of people, therefore we have quarterly activities and drinks Fridays for whoever wants to join!
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You'll need to hold the legal right to work in South Africa already as we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
We believe that decentralised digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum will fundamentally change how the world views and uses money: cheaper, faster and safer transactions; more privacy and freedom; a significantly better user experience; and ultimately, more equality through giving everyone in the world access to the same financial system, no matter who they are or where they are from.
Today we are one of the world’s leading digital currency companies with a team of over 40 technology and finance experts, operating across several countries and continents. Our products and services make it safe and easy for people and businesses to store, buy, use and learn about digital currencies like Bitcoin.
Our vision is to empower billions of people by bringing digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum to everyone, everywhere.