We are looking for aPrincipal Data Engineer to join our Engineering team in Cape Town.
The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as individuals.
Together, we are upgrading the world of work to unleash the potential within and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the financial landscape, and to do so, well we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need rockstars. As simple as that.
A little about us:
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- We currently have over 7 million customers across 40 countries.
- We're part of the Digital Currency Group, a group of companies driving progress in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space that includes Grayscale, Genesis, Coindesk and Foundry Services.
- Our platform has processed over $21 billion to date.
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 43 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
How we work
We are a data-driven organisation that puts a huge emphasis on the scaling, storage, and query ability of our data.
Our engineering team (currently ~100 engineers) is split into organisations which we call Fleets. Each Fleet focuses on a core customer journey (onboarding, security, payments, support, new business, growth, and marketing, etc.). Each of these fleets contains multiple smaller teams called Pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of the product.
Pods will include a product owner, product designer, back-end engineers, Android, iOS, and Web developers, who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards. We're agile, use scrum, continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
We're building teams to help us succeed in our mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system. You’ll be joining a group of highly motivated software engineers with who you’ll work collaboratively across our pods.
As a fast-growing company with offices around the world, you’ll immediately see how your contributions directly impact both our internal users and client experience. Many of the problems we are solving result in trailblazing solutions which can’t be found on Stack Overflow; so we’re looking for engineers who flourish working in a complex domain.
In your first six months, you will:
Begin your journey at Luno by learning our processes, meeting the wider team, and starting our engineering onboarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics, you'll start learning our idiomatic patterns in a safe, easy-to-follow way: by building your set of own toy microservices. Here you will be involved in and experience our approach to design documents, code reviews, deployments, events, logging, and monitoring.
You will also meet the Pod(s) that you will be working with and quickly align on the teams’ current OKRs and product roadmap. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager and peers and will encourage you to do the same.
What you'll do:
- Be accountable and responsible for the design and architecture of big data systems that are scalable and robust.
- Work closely with our data science and platform teams on projects introducing new streams of data into our data lake
- Contribute new ideas to further the development and innovation of our big data solutions
- The responsibility for researching and quickly/iteratively applying new big data engineering concepts in the tech industry
- Be continuously improving our data backup/recovery and storage solutions
- Work in an Agile/Scrum framework or Agile mindset
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- 7+ years experience in maintaining scalable data solutions and/or you are passionate about it
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- A data engineering-related AWS Certification (AWS Certified Database Specialist and/or AWS Certified Data Analytics)
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language e.g. Go, Python
- A proven track record of setting up, refactoring, and maintenance of databases
- A proven track record in setting up, optimizing, and maintaining data lakes
- A proven track record in designing and optimizing ETL pipelines
- Experienced in professionally using AWS data services (RedShift, DynamoDB, Amazon RDS, Snowflake)
- Experienced in integrating data stores with BI platforms such as Looker, Tableau, or Power BI
- An understanding of CI/CD principles
- Exposure to any additional cloud data services and platforms would also be beneficial (Google BigQuery, Apache Spark, Databricks, etc)
- Exposure to machine learning pipelines would be beneficial
- A work permit for South Africa if you are not a South African citizen
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all of the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent software engineers have diverse backgrounds.
Remote Life at Luno
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- You'll be able to continuously up-skill yourself with access to free courses on Udemy, Coursera and Codeacademy.
- For the crypto fans among you (should be everyone!), you'll pay 0 fees with Luno from the day you start
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Apple all the way. New Macbook, mouse and keyboard.
- Annual Inspiration Day... for that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
- Work is important, but your mental health should always take priority. At Luno, we do everything we can to make sure you lead a healthy and happy life. That's why Luno gives you free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You'll need to hold the legal right to work in South Africa already as we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Be part of the change! 🚀
We believe that decentralised digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum will fundamentally change how the world views and uses money: cheaper, faster and safer transactions; more privacy and freedom; a significantly better user experience; and ultimately, more equality through giving everyone in the world access to the same financial system, no matter who they are or where they are from.
Today we are one of the world’s leading digital currency companies with a team of over 40 technology and finance experts, operating across several countries and continents. Our products and services make it safe and easy for people and businesses to store, buy, use and learn about digital currencies like Bitcoin.
Our vision is to empower billions of people by bringing digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum to everyone, everywhere.
Want to learn more about Luno? Visit Luno's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.
Jobs You May Like
Engineering Technical Program Manager
Okta, Bellevue, WA; Austin, TX; Los Angeles, CA; US Remote Central