Software Engineer, Data Tools and Visualization (Seattle)
Lyft, Seattle, WA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
If you are passionate about building amazing data products through effective visualizations and tools that bring infrastructure and users together, and are motivated to make an impact in creating a world-class data ecosystem - we would love to talk to you. Data is the only way we make decisions, it’s the core of our business helping us create an exceptional transportation experience for our customers and providing insights into the effectiveness of our product & features.
You will be a part of an early team that engineers intuitive interfaces to get faster access to and insights from data. Our mission is to make data the heart of every decision enabling users to understand deeply when, what, who, and where of the business. You will help shape the vision and architecture of Lyft’s next generation data platform. You will be responsible for developing a reliable suite of data products that scales with the company’s incredible growth. Your efforts will allow accessibility to business and user behavior insights, leveraging huge amounts of Lyft data to fuel several teams such as Market Health, Analytics, Data Science, Marketplace, Fraud and many others.
We are a set of engineers constantly striving to create an amazing experience for our customers and ourselves, and we believe data brings everything together. We build and operate the platform used by the rest of the company for stream and batch computation serving mechanisms ranging from analyzing data through interactive querying to training ML models. And this team is responsible for bringing infrastructure to life through visualization and tools. You will be a part of an experienced engineering team and work with passionate leaders on challenging problems.
We regard culture and trust highly and believe you will add positively to it in your own way.
- Close the gap from intent to outcome for your users. Help Lyft move fast by enabling data based decision making
- Collaborate with designers on building beautiful and intuitive data products. Create powerful data visualization tools usable by both technical and non technical audiences
- Work closely with Streaming and Analytics Infrastructure teams - most data products built will rely heavily on underlying platform
- Build for the unique use cases across Lyft - geospatial, dashboarding, machine learning, etc
- Ensure quality and consistency in how data is interpreted through your products
- Educate the organization on data access and visualization best practices. Present at conferences and meetups, help others create content with your tools
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A passion for creating tools that establish tight feedback loops
- Solid design skills and a demonstrable track record (2+ years experience) in this industry. (Examples of your work preferred)
- Familiarity with SQL
- Strong intuition for distributed systems performance characteristics
We’re hiring for both frontend and backend positions. In addition to the qualifications above, frontend developers should have:
- Prior contributions to Open Source projects a plus (we are a bunch of open source enthusiasts)
- Expertise with OLAP databases (e.g., Hive, Presto)
Lyft is an EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce, and pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.