Senior Software Engineer, Express Drive
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
Lyft is seeking an expert software engineer to join our Express Drive team. Express Drive allows drivers without a vehicle to rent a vehicle and drive with Lyft. Just 1.5 years after launching with our partners Hertz and GM we now provide rental vehicles in 48 locations across 18 markets. In the next year and a half we're poised for even more growth as we launch additional partners. Express Drive is a full stack team that owns integrations with our rental partners as well as internal teams such as pay and incentives. You’ll be playing a key part in leading projects from inception to launch, ensuring stability of our system, and improving the business economics of our product.
Do you have at least five years of professional work experience? We are looking for developers with experience mentoring engineers. You’ll leverage your strong interpersonal skills when mentoring engineers and facilitating inter-team communication. Experience both scoping and implementing projects, taking it from concept to scoped milestones and then through to completion. Experience with frontend engineering, highly available systems, machine learning, unit/integration/end to end testing, pay systems, and product engineering is a plus.
Our Engineering values
- Every day, your work should improve the lives of Lyft drivers and passengers
- Leave code better than you found it
- Move fast and move smart- Developers ship code on their first day
We have all the tools and engineering best practices to make shipping code fast and safe (automated testing, CI, real time monitoring and alerting, autoscaling, etc).
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code; Quickly
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
Desired Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of industry experience coding in an object oriented language
- Has lead or mentored an engineering team of high performers
- Proficiency in at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Python, Java or Go
- Computer Science fundamentals in design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience building distributed systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Rigor in software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Experience with MongoDB or MySQL query optimization
- Experience with scaling and orchestrating AWS deployments
- Experience with real-time technology problems
- Experience working with the Facebook Platform and Google Maps API
- Experience with mobile development
- Previous work with social networks
- Contributions to open source projects
- Passion for sustainability and/or transportation
Work on a product that people love. Help us build the large-scale, distributed, highly-available, real-time transportation network of the future. Lyft engineers work on projects that will surprise and delight millions of amazing Lyft drivers and passengers.
Work with awesome people. The team at Lyft is smart, friendly, and passionate about the work they do.
Our Driver team at Lyft is constantly innovating and incorporating cutting edge technologies to make the lives of our drivers more enriched. If you are excited about modern technologies and want to help build better products for our drivers, this is the role for you!
Lyft is an EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce, and pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.
Want to learn more about Lyft? Visit