Embedded Software Engineer
Lyft, Palo Alto, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
Lyft’s autonomous vehicle architecture consists of a complex network of embedded microcontrollers, which are responsible for communicating directly with custom electronics. As a member of a rapidly growing team, you will be able to make a large impact on the future of Lyft’s autonomous efforts.
- Deliver high-quality C/C++ code for real-time embedded systems
- Participate in hardware and software systems design reviews
- Participate in hands-on hardware bringup, system debugging, and code optimization
- Analyze and propose solutions for performance bottlenecks
- Contribute to code reviews
Experience & Skills:
- Extensive programming experience in C/C++
- Strong background in object oriented design, prioritizing testability and reusability
- Deep knowledge of embedded programming platforms
- Strong knowledge of ARM, x86, or similar processor architectures
- Deep understanding of operating systems architecture and designs
Nice To Have:
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field, and 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with RTOS programming and debugging
- Some expertise in localization, controls, machine learning, or graphics
- Experience working closely with sensors and actuators
- Experience in robotics, real time systems, embedded system, or self-driving technologies
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.