Mechanical Engineer (Lead), Bikes & Scooters
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft’s Bikes & Scooters team is developing the future of micro-mobility and we are looking for a Mechanical Engineering Technical Lead to come in and drive the development of our newest vehicle.
If you’re excited about the micro-mobility space and about working on light electric vehicles, we encourage you to apply below to join the Bikes & Scooters team! To learn more about Lyft’s vision for Bikes & Scooters, read more from our founders here.
- Drive design decision by collaborating with product, electrical engineering and systems engineering teams
- Derive technical architecture and requirements from product requirements
- Work with Sourcing and Procurement teams to vet supply chain and production partners
- Prototype; create quick experimental mock-ups and meticulous mechanical models
- Research technologies and scope development opportunities
- Develop CAD databases and drawing packages, and drive handoff to manufacturers
- Support the build and test product development cycle, travel required
- Test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
- Conduct field failure analysis and solution evaluation
- Lead large projects from idea to positive execution
- Act on feedback to learn and grow
- Effectively communicate across cross functional teams to achieve results
Experience & Skills:
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field, and 8+ years of related industry experience
- Experience leading the development of a consumer product on a cross functional team
- Strong foundation in mechanical engineering fundamentals, including solid mechanics, electromagnetics, thermodynamics, and knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience in performing tolerance analyses and working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Proactive problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Skilled in 3D CAD, Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Track-record for successfully shipping product
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.