At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft expands transportation access. As the pioneer in peer-to-peer transportation networks, Lyft is constantly innovating and creating the next generation of transportation with our community-powered multi-modal platform.
The Public Policy team is the voice of the Lyft community to legislators and policymakers, charged with a multi-faceted mission that includes research, education, advocacy, and community outreach. The work we do lays the legal framework and policy foundation for the future of transportation. We are looking for someone passionate about Lyft to help frame conversations across the US.
The Policy Research Analyst will leverage Lyft’s vast database and external data sources to answer important questions regarding the impact of Lyft on drivers, riders, local economies, transit systems, transportation access, environment, crime, impaired driving, and other policy-oriented topics. Reports will both influence internal company policy and articulate Lyft’s point of view to policymakers as they help shape the future of the industry.
Lead Policy Research’s survey and polling programs to answer important questions about the platform
- Work closely with Policy Development teams to scope policy problems and potential solutions
- Design, build, and execute gen pop and user surveys and polling to help Lyft better understand important policy issues
Run Lyft’s Economic Impact Survey, which feeds into its annual Economic Impact Report
- Work across organizations to get input and buy-in around necessary questions we should be asking
- Design, build, and execute our survey using methodological best practices
- Analyze results of public surveys, such as the National Household Travel Survey, with an eye toward informing internal company policy or external messaging concerning Lyft’s impacts on cities and transportation
Define, write, vet and procure data for research
- Design and build custom metrics using SQL and Python/R
- Research and respond to daily quantitative research inquiries from the Policy team and other internal stakeholders
- Provide technical assistance on shaping and evaluating metrics for policy-related pilot programs
- Cross-functional coordination with other technical teams at Lyft on projects with policy implications
- Conduct and publish original analysis and intuitive visualizations that support arguments for Lyft’s major policy issues
Experience & Skills:
- 3+ years of industry experience in a data science or analytics role
- B.S. preferably in a quantitative social sciences field, such as statistics, economics, psychology, or sociology
- Strong interest in public policy, especially transportation and/or urban planning
- Experience administering and analyzing surveys and polls to answer policy questions
- Proficiency in SQL - able to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets
- Experience in a scripting language like Python or R
- Hypothesis testing, causal inference and regression analysis
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex statistical results into simple facts
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Transportation policy experience preferred
- Econometrics experience, e.g. Difference in Differences, Synthetic Controls preferred
- Data visualization skills preferred
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.