Product Manager - Autonomous Vehicle Perception
Lyft, Palo Alto
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
Developing an autonomous vehicle is a complicated prospect. We’re looking for an experienced product manager to help develop our Autonomous Vehicle Perception systems that help power the autonomy and related software systems aboard Lyft’s autonomous vehicles. You will work in close partnership with the respective engineering teams and will help design and implement the ability to take the data from all the sensors on our autonomous vehicle and build a model of the world. For this position, we are looking for a product manager with the ability to understand autonomous vehicles in general and some level of expertise in computer vision and / or machine learning.
If you enjoy working in a fast-paced, safety-critical environment and you’re great at creating solutions given minimal detail beyond complicated requirements, you might be the person we’re looking for!
- Completely own your team's products, existing or new, from ideation, through development, to launch, growth and maintenance
- Align with all upstream and downstream teams (Data Labeling, Mapping, Prediction, Planning, Hardware, etc.) to align roadmaps and requirements across all partner teams
- Communicate clearly roadmaps, priorities, experiments, and decisions across a wide spectrum of audiences from partner teams to executive levels
- Conceptualize core perception algorithms such as object detection, tracking, segmentation, and sensor fusion algorithms for LiDAR, Radar and Camera
- Drive the development of tools and infrastructure to verify and evaluate the performance of the perception stack and track metrics over time
- Drive the software release process and work closely with the engineering leads to ensure proper validation and testing of perception software
- Work cross-functionally with other teams to help enable speed and scale of autonomy software development
Experience & Skills
- 2+ years of product management experience, having shipped technology products to end users
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field, with 2+ years of relevant professional experience
- Knowledge of software development capabilities in C++
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Vision
- Automotive software development or similar domains
- Excel in cross-team communication and collaboration, and be able to juggle multiple competing priorities across various teams
- Thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative work environment where your impact is extremely visible
- Passionate about autonomous vehicle technology and its potential to improve the world
- Prior hands on experience with applying deep learning to computer vision or other sensor data is nice to have
- Knowledge of classical computer vision techniques like structure from motion, RANSAC, Hough transformations, camera calibration, pinhole projection models, etc. is nice to have
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Caffe, or PyTorch is a plus
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.