Software Engineer, Autonomous Vehicle Security
Lyft, Palo Alto, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Developing an autonomous vehicle is a complicated prospect. Ultimately there’s a series of computers that are in control of passenger safety (to varying degrees), and so the security requirements of these computers must be stringent. We quickly end up needing to design systems that must be highly reliable and highly robust, in best-of-breed architectures for segmentation and assurance, with secure development methodologies that will withstand close scrutiny. Oh, and did we mention that there’s no instruction manual on how to do this?
We’re looking for a backend developer who likes a challenge and who wants to have an impact. You will be responsible for designing and building security-focused backend systems, helping to build the processes that govern that development, and ultimately you’ll help to write development specifications that will be shared with internal and external partners. We at Lyft are intending to produce the most secure vehicle the world has ever seen, so there’s lots of possibilities for your work to have impact far beyond Lyft, and out into the rest of the automotive industry.
- Develop and document global requirements for L5 development, particularly security standards
- Work closely with a range of teams across L5 to gather requirements for new backend systems and develop specifications for them
- Architect systems that meet all of the above, then gather consensus on the chosen solution
- Plan and execute a development timeline
- Work closely with internal and external partners on development sub-tasks
- Once specifications, protocols, and standards are mature, help to push them into industry and government
- 5+ years of hands-on experience programming in multiple languages, ideally C/C++, Python, Bash, SQL
- Strong Cloud skills (ideally AWS)
- Plenty of experience architecting and developing secure software
- Strong crypto knowledge (PKCS#11 and X.509 at a minimum)
- Experience with several development methodologies, including SDL and Agile
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.