Hardware Engineer, High Performance Computing
Lyft, Palo Alto, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
As part of the Compute team, you will be responsible for developing core parts of our compute architecture to ensure that our autonomous vehicles execute their software in a safe, efficient, and robust way. Members of the compute team work on a variety of challenging tasks ranging from architecture design, hands-on verification and benchmarking of deployed systems in our vehicles. For this position we are seeking a HPC engineer with strong experience in putting together compute and networking systems, and at least some experience in designing compute systems for deep learning algorithms. Part of the role is long-term vision thinking, and part is delivering working hardware now.
- Work closely with the software & hardware teams to architect autonomous vehicle computing systems that meet safety and performance goals
- Drive large programs forward by facilitating conversations with vendors, suppliers, and coworkers
- Lead benchmarking efforts to identify bottlenecks in computing performance
- Stay current with latest HPC industry developments and put cutting edge research into use as practical designs
- Education in EE, CS, CE, Physics, or similar
- Software development or scripting in C/C++, Matlab, or Python
- Understanding of the Linux operating system
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, good communication and collaboration skills
- A record of successful engineering project ownership
- Knowledge of robotics and/or automotive inference requirements
- Deep learning coding experience using TensorFlow or any other framework
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.