Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Lyft, Palo Alto, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
The Data Infrastructure team is responsible for building a massive-scale data ingestion and processing platform. Each Autonomous Vehicle (AV) is equipped with dozens of sensors (Lidars, Radars, HD cameras, etc.). Single AV produces data at rate that is comparable to all of Twitter users combined; the platforms we build need to be able to process Petabytes of Autonomous-Vehicle data daily. If you are excited about joining a team of talented engineers working on cutting-edge problems, join us! Some of the challenges the team deals with are:
- Architecting fault tolerant and self-healing distributed systems
- Re-building our data storage and indexing pipelines to support multiple orders of growth
- Designing solid APIs to serve data for downstream applications (REST, gRPC, streaming)
- Supporting ML and manual labeling workflows
- Design and implement reliable, scalable, and performant distributed systems and data pipelines
- Provide observability into the systems health and execution flow, build tools and dashboards for monitoring and improving efficiency
- Design and operate compute platform processing PB/day
- Educate, and evangelize best data-processing practices across the entire Autonomous Vehicles organization
- Excellent Software Engineering and Computer Science fundamentals. It usually comes with Bachelors or higher degree in CS, or 3+ years of experience in top-performing teams (ideally both)
- Extensive programming experience, especially in Java, Python, and/or C++ (Rust, Go is a plus)
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team of talented engineers
- Experience building REST or gRPC services
- Understanding of containerization, including Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with ELK and Grafana (Stackdriver is a plus)
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.
Want to learn more about Lyft? Visit Lyft's website.
Help the world share their story
Jobs You May Like
Staff Data Architect