Lyft’s Data Science Team builds mathematical models underpinning the platform’s core services. Compared to other technology companies of a similar size, the set of problems that we tackle is incredibly diverse. They cut across optimization, prediction, modeling, inference, transportation, and mapping. We are hiring technical managers with expertise in one or more of these fields. The ideal candidate can be hands-on when needed, but is also comfortable providing general technical direction and oversight. Above all, our managers care about people. Their job is to make sure data scientists are technically challenged, happy, motivated and productive. All while building foundational data products for Lyft.
- Lead a team of talented data scientists solving a variety of mathematical problems.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers; assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Maintain a balance between building principled, mathematically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly.
- Work with data scientists, engineers and product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals.
- Unblock your team members; help them build the necessary relationships across Lyft functions including Support, Marketing, Ops and BizDev.
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other quantitative field.
- 4+ years of hands-on technical or research experience.
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists.
- Penchant for solving unstructured and non-standard mathematical problems.
- Willingness to collaborate and communicate with others to drive projects to completion.
- Passionate about mentoring junior team members, and multiplying impact through technical leadership.
- Inclined towards thinking ahead and building for the future.
Data Science models power real-time, in-product decision making at Lyft. This includes efficiently matching passengers and drivers, predicting travel times and distances, balancing supply and demand in the network, and protecting our passengers and drivers against fraudsters. Data scientists also build evaluation methodology for these foundational algorithms, including a high-fidelity simulation environment. Every new Lyft product, or step-change improvement in the efficiency of our platform, begins with a deep contribution from the Data Science Team.
Lyft is an EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce, and pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.