Engineering Manager, Application Security
Lyft, Seattle, WA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft Security designs and builds Lyft's security architecture, consults with other teams as they build and launch new products and features, proactively plans for the unexpected, and responds to incidents that occur. Our work affects the entire company and takes place at all levels of the stack, from infrastructure to web application security, as well as mobile apps, IT, bikes, scooters, and autonomous vehicles. We try to approach security from a software engineering standpoint. We believe in scaling security through automation and tooling and we ship frequently. Check out our blog posts at https://eng.lyft.com/tagged/security to learn more about some of the things we’ve built.
The Application Security team’s mission: Empower the company to ship secure products. Provide clear guidance on secure code and implement quality gates across our software delivery pipeline.
We’re looking for the right person to drive our appsec team to perform service and application security review, and move us along our maturity journey.
As the Application Security Manager, you will use your technical experience to lead a team of software engineers and security engineers to challenge the status quo and help Lyft improve the security of our applications. In order to be scalable, each secure code quality gate must be automated and integrated into our software release pipeline. Our grand vision is a fully automated series of quality controls that constantly validate that our code is secure. We strongly believe in feedback loops, and that our team should focus in scaling their expertise.
You will lead a team that is inclusive, helpful, and has a strong sense of ownership for the things they help protect. The team looks to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback.
- Lead a team of talented security engineers who like to secure applications and tackle hard security engineering problems
- Build a Vision where the team talent can be scaled, improve the quality of Lyft code in an automatic, self-serve way by creating feedback loops that help us learn from the past and the present, to improve our future
- Work across engineering to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback and understand their goals to build and prioritize a roadmap for your org
- With the help of your team members, educate engineering on best practices for building security applications
- Create and evolve sustainable processes and tools for operations through automation, self-service and reducing complexity
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members; help develop their careers and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams’ code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Past experience doing threat modelling, code review (Python, Go), penetration testing against cloud environments and/or mobile (iOS/Android)
- Computer networking concepts and protocols, application and network security methodologies
- Ability to communicate complex information, concepts, or ideas in a confident and well-organized manner through verbal, written, and/or visual means
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience with (or a deep interest in) computer security, ideally in both attacking and defending services
- Experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule or as a visitor) are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completion of the entire recommended series of vaccination (usually one or two doses) with a vaccine authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including by way of an emergency use authorization. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.
Want to learn more about Lyft? Visit Lyft's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one