Software Engineer, Payments
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
Lyft is seeking an experienced software engineer to join the Payments team. The software engineer will be responsible for architecting reliable distributed systems, implementing and improving payments services and enabling great payments experiences for Lyft users and drivers.
The software engineer will be responsible for writing well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code, quickly. He/she will participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge. They will also be expected to share knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices.
The Payments team is the core of how Lyft operates. From enabling passengers to take rides to paying the drivers, we ensure frictionless interactions on our platform. Trusted payments is fundamental to Lyft's marketplace and the Payments team ensures all money flows through our system reliably and accurately. The engineering challenge and opportunity is to enable a superior and secure experience through the Lyft app for passengers and drivers, resulting in a near instantaneous flow of funds for all participants.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- 4+ years of industry experience coding in an object oriented language
- Proficiency in at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Python, Java or Go
- Experience building distributed systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Rigor in software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Interest in innovations within the global payments industry
- Experience with MongoDB, Dynamodb query optimization
- Experience with scaling and orchestrating AWS deployments
- Experience with real-time technology problems
- Contributions to open source projects
- Passion for sustainability and/or transportation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic and flexible
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment
The Payments team has a history of enabling rich and creative features that set the standard for the entire sharing industry. In addition to launching new features, the Payments team architects and owns a robust and flexible payments platform that other teams at Lyft leverage.
Payments at Lyft is constantly innovating and incorporating cutting edge payments technologies. As an example, we built Express Pay for Lyft drivers and transformed the gig economy in the process. Express Pay is a feature that radically accelerates the time it takes to receive payment from the platform. Instead of waiting for a weekly payout that takes several days to process, drivers can hit a button in the app and have the money appear in their accounts in 20 minutes.
Launched more than a year before the rest of the industry, our drivers love express pay. It has become the primary way that we pay our drivers and has changed the way that gig-workers everywhere think about pay. If you are excited about modern technologies, financial services, and unique customer experiences and want to be a critical part of the transformation of transportation, let’s chat!
Lyft is an EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce, and pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.
Want to learn more about Lyft? Visit