Product Lead, Marketplace Optimization
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft connects people to transportation to change the way we live and get around our communities. We are looking for product managers who bring exceptional creative and analytical skills to drive forward a best in class product. Product management at Lyft leads the integration of engineering, data science, and design to achieve the company’s vision for reinventing transportation. We are looking for entrepreneurial and passionate Product Managers to innovate and execute across a rapidly growing, fast paced company and industry.
Marketplace Optimization is fundamental to the Lyft marketplace and how riders and drivers experience Lyft (determining prices, ETAs, utilization, and driver earnings). The mission of the Marketplace Optimization group is to set pricing and matching policies to maximize business and user outcomes given available supply and real-world conditions. To accomplish this mission, the group PM will:
- Design algorithms to maximize expected business and user outcomes given real-time costs, preferences, and elasticities
- Build pricing systems to support different modes (Classic, Shared, Wait & Save, Priority, etc) based on their unique costs and supply consumption
- Ensure our platform can adjust prices in real-time to balance supply and demand
- Design algorithms to globally match riders and drivers in the marketplace
- Design algorithms to choose Shared ride matches, waits, and walks to increase profit and ride conversion
- Model costs, elasticities, supply consumption, and other market signals that can be used across Pricing & Dispatch and other real-time decision engines (supply positioning, rider and driver incentives, driver earnings, etc)
This individual should:
- Be highly analytical + technical
- Ideally have a OR/ML/algorithmic background
- Have experience working in deep product domains - able to use data and experimentation to guide a large cross-functional team towards a long-term vision
- Be detail-oriented and able to dive deep into complex technical concepts, but also abstract them to executives, stakeholders, operations, and legal stakeholders
- Have emotional intelligence and experience steering heated discussions into productive alignments, building trust with partners
- Maintain a strong POV on what to build for our users, amidst many different stakeholders with different goals and world-class scientists + engineers on the team with their own opinions
- Have experience managing, coaching, and developing a small team of PMs to execute and lead teams flawlessly
- Define shared vision + strategy across three marketplace teams (Pricing, Dispatch, Market Signals)
- Align on business goals for optimization with executives and business teams (ex. are we optimizing for short-term profit or long-term profit or growth? How does this vary by region?)
- Work closely with partner teams to represent Marketplace perspective on new initiatives, define Marketplace requirements, and prioritize asks
- Manage a group of PMs to execute together on shared strategy
- Minimum of 6+ years of product management experience
- 2+ years experience managing other PMs
- experience managing OR/ML/algorithmic products across any product domain.
- Passion for Lyft and what we are trying to achieve in sustainable urban transportation.
- Natural ability to make things happen around you. You manage project ambiguity, complexity and interdependencies in an organized and structured way.
- Ability to define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products
- Excellent judgment and thoughtfulness about the dynamics of a product ecosystem
- Strong communication skills and intuition for communication strategy at every level -- within teams, within the company, to users, to press, and other audiences
- Experience running A/B tests and using common statistical techniques to evaluate results. Experience leading post-launch optimizations including developing testing strategies
- Experience with data, including querying, aggregation, analysis, and visualization
- Ability to conceptualize, manage and prioritize multiple projects for stakeholders
- Detail orientated with superior organizational skills -- balancing multiple projects, deadlines, and requests should be second nature to you
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule or as a visitor) are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completion of the entire recommended series of vaccination (usually one or two doses) with a vaccine authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including by way of an emergency use authorization. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.
Want to learn more about Lyft? Visit Lyft's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.