Software Engineer, Security Foundations
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft connects people to transportation to change the way we live and get around our communities. Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for Software Engineers with a passion in Security to help us scale. Come be part of the Security team at Lyft focused on enabling and empowering engineering teams to deliver secure services at scale.
Our drivers and passengers entrust Lyft with their personal information and travel details to get where they're going and expect us to keep that data safe. Lyft's security team leads efforts across the company to ensure our systems are secure and worthy of our users' trust.
The security team designs and builds Lyft's security architecture, consults with other teams as they build and launch new products and features, proactively plans for the unexpected, and responds to incidents that occur. Our work affects the entire company and takes place at all levels of the stack, from infrastructure to web application security, as well as mobile apps, IT, and autonomous vehicles. We try to approach security from a software engineering standpoint. We believe in scaling security through automation and tooling and we ship frequently. Check out our blog posts at https://eng.lyft.com/tagged/security to learn more about some of the things we’ve built.
We're looking for an engineer who's excited about growing and improving security at Lyft by building systems and promoting security throughout the company. You'll play a part in shaping the future of security at Lyft, and your work will have significant impact and visibility.
- Architect and build services that improve the security of our systems with an eye towards scalability and avoiding unnecessary friction.
- Evangelize our shared security responsibility model by collaborating with other Infrastructure teams at Lyft to ensure that our services and workflows are secure by default.
- Work on embedding security best practices such as least privilege, isolation, monitoring, authentication and authorization across our infrastructure
- Develop critical services that Lyft depends on such as our credential management service that provides secrets to all our services at Lyft.
- Provide rich data to engineers at Lyft to drive manual and automated decision making by working on our open-source service Cartography, which shows relationships between our infrastructure assets.
- Ensuring least privilege is enforced by improving role-based access control and Identity Access Management for our users and services.
- Solid experience with a high level programming language (bonus points for experience with Python, Go-lang and shell scripts)
- Experience with (or a deep interest in) computer security
- When facing a problem that's poorly defined or outside of your expertise, you can quickly learn what you need to dig in, make sense of the problem, and start working towards a solution
- You're a great communicator, and can advocate for your proposals while also empathizing with your teammates' goals and priorities
- You understand that security work must be prioritized because all teams have finite resources. You have good judgment and a sense of when to compromise and when to hold your ground
- Understanding of computer network security or major computer networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, DNS).
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or any other major cloud service provider
- Kubernetes and container security and running fleets of endpoints or servers in the cloud.
- Cryptography, PKI, or key distribution
- Running multi-tier or distributed web applications at scale
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule or as a visitor) are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completion of the entire recommended series of vaccination (usually one or two doses) with a vaccine authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including by way of an emergency use authorization. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process.
Wherever you’re headed, count on Lyft for rides in minutes. The Lyft app matches you with local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go.
Ride by ride, we’re changing the way our world works.
Want to learn more about Lyft? Visit Lyft's website.
The best bed for better sleep