Lead, Mechanical Engineer, Calibration
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
See jobs at Magic Leap, Inc.
Responsible for delivering calibration stations (featuring mechanical, electrical, & optical components) from concept phase to factory-appropriate solution. Candidate is expected to support their design with fundamental engineering principles, rigorous testing, and prototypes. Ideal candidate is a strong collaborator, reaching across organizations to clarify expectations, achieve 'buy-in' where appropriate, and see their design through to the final customer. Ideal candidate is willing to independently pursue new skills/knowledge as needed to complete projects.
- Develop mechanical concepts backed by fundamental engineering principles, calculations, simulations, tolerance analysis, etc.
- Drive implementation of calibration stations from concept phase to factory-appropriate solution (on site and at international manufacturing facility).
- Design/implement verification processes to ensure station precision and accuracy over time and across duplicate stations.
- Drive collaboration between organizations to bridge communication gaps, clarify internal/external customer requirements, sync dependencies, and support transparent exchange of data.
- Adept at problem solving, issue-resolution, and continued system improvement. Understands when an off-the-shelf solution is appropriate and when creative, in-house designs are necessary.
- Ideal candidate can identify short and long-term solutions, confidently schedule work, and close issues in a timely manner.
- Implement/enforce processes that ensure a high standard of quality for mechanical design, testing, analysis, 3D CAD modeling, drawings/specs, BOM creation, etc.
- Drive station development in sync with high-level product goals (eg. build schedule, budget, cycle time, performance, etc.)
- Ideal candidate is hands-on and pro-active, able to assemble/repair calibration stations, perform testing, manage shipping logistics, etc.
- 8-10 years relevant experience in manufacturing of consumer/enterprise electronics products.
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated record of leading a team of engineers to success.
- Experience with precision machined components (tolerances down to +/-0.05mm), 3D-printed materials, sheet metal, T-Slot Framing, kinematic mounting.
- Experience with CREO and Windchill. Experience creating and maintaining 'top-down' (AKA 'master-driven') CAD models.
- Experience creating CAD drawings with appropriate GD&T notation.
- Working knowledge of statistics for hypothesis testing, Gauge R&R studies, and analysis of Round Robin studies.
- Must be comfortable in a highly dynamic and creative environment bound by time constraints.
- Exceptional presentation, organization, and logistical skills.
- Must be willing and able to travel internationally (15-20%)
- Experience in opto-mechanics, optics, robotics, and/or computer vision calibration is a plus.
- Basic proficiency in C++, Python, or Matlab is a plus.
- Position requires the ability to stand, squat, reach and lift up to 30lbs. Mechanicals are required to design their stations, but also assemble and repair them (especially in the prototype phase)
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
About Magic Leap, Inc.
How It All Began October 5, 2017 Today, Magic Leap is a company made up of hundreds of artists, engineers, explorers, and dreamers from around the globe, all chasing their curiosity toward the same goal – bringing together the digital and real worlds to advance human potential. But it all began on a road trip to Austin when we asked the question – “what if computing could spill outside the computer?”
Want to learn more about Magic Leap, Inc.? Visit Magic Leap, Inc.'s website.
The social news and entertainment company.