Senior Software Engineer, Developer Tools
Mapbox, San Francisco
Build experiences for exploring the world
What we do
On any given day, millions of people interact with Mapbox’s global API infrastructure, while behind the scenes, hundreds of Mapbox developers continually deploy code, process petabytes of data, and improve the durability and efficiency of our product. Powering this engine is our Developer Tools team: a group of developers who build and operate a first-class suite of devops tools, run our self-serve deployment pipeline, provision a shared computing layer for the company, and advise Mapbox developers on optimizing cost, scale, and fault-tolerance on AWS. As Mapbox grows, the Developer Tools team serves as the backbone of scaling our self-service and high-quality development on AWS. The team is a key player in helping Mapbox developers deliver an operationally excellent, high-availability product to our customers.
The team's scope of work includes tooling and systems for continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD), benchmarking, observability, incident response, database replication, cost monitoring, and more.
- Check out some of our recent re:Invent talks about switching our infrastructure to ECS and how we monitor cost on AWS
- Many components of our platform are open-source, such as our framework for distributed data processing on ECS, the core of our deploy pipeline, and some friendly CloudFormation helpers!
What you’ll do
Mapbox is looking for a talented and experienced engineer to help grow the foundation of our platform. We’re excited to share our passion for scalability with you, and for your perspective to help shape our team’s goals. You will be responsible for contributing to, operating, and improving all things related to our cloud infrastructure and devops toolkits. In this role, you can expect to:
- Support internal customers of the platform by shipping features to address their needs and consulting on implementation of our systems and tools
- Simplify and strengthen Mapbox’s processes and tools for designing, deploying, and monitoring workloads on AWS
- Spearhead development of systems that improve our API reliability, cost monitoring, data processing, engineering and management
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand
Mapbox is the location data platform for mobile and web applications. We provide building blocks to add location features like maps, search, and navigation into any experience you create. We’re changing the way people move around cities and explore our world. Through the apps Mapbox powers, we reach more than 300 million people each month. Location is built into the fabric of our daily experiences. Whether you’re exploring a city with Lonely Planet, sharing with friends on Snapchat, seeing if it’s going to rain on Weather.com, tracking breaking news on Bloomberg, or checking your ETA in Lyft — location is essential to every one of these applications, and they’re powered by Mapbox. We craft beautiful maps and developer-friendly location data, APIs, and SDKs so that you’re free to focus on designing, building, and developing your application. Our open-source tools let analytics companies understand big geo data, drone companies publish flyovers, real estate sites visualize properties, satellite companies process cloud-free imagery, and insurance companies track assets. Mapbox proudly embraces our open-source roots. We work in the open and release as much code as possible. We believe it’s the right thing for people, technology, and business.