Associate General Counsel – Commercial/Product
Mapbox, Washington D.C.
Build experiences for exploring the world
Mapbox powers navigation – for people, packages and vehicles everywhere. Our maps are designed for the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting pseudonymized data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. We are a platform company – licensing our suite of APIs and SDKs to enterprises and software developers for them to incorporate our mapping technology into the applications they build. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps.
What You'll Do
As part of a small legal team, reporting directly to the General Counsel, we do sophisticated commercial work. This is not simply routine vendor agreements and light mark-ups to our terms of service, but rather interesting and challenging, complex commercial and IP license agreements – everything from API integrations to multi-million dollar deals with automotive OEM customers to important data in-licenses. You’ll be working closely with our colleagues in product, sales, automotive and logistics to get practical deals that work for both Mapbox and our sophisticated counterparties done.
This is a high-growth, interdisciplinary position -- you'll be learning every day and you’ll need to become conversant in our technology and business. We don’t believe that lawyers can give good legal advice in a vacuum, and so it’s critical that you are interested in and become immersed in our business and products. An undergraduate degree in engineering or computer science is a definite plus.
We think it’s important to continually be improving operational processes/updating forms because this is how we can scale a small legal organization, supporting a fast-growing tech company. You need to share and participate in these efforts to scale our department and improve our services.
We are a flat organization, but we pitch in and help each other. You must be willing to roll up your sleeves and dive into a variety of legal issues, enjoy the give and take of collaboration and take feedback. If you prefer to work in a very narrow silo, this role is not for you.
This is a perfect position for an ambitious (in a good way!) lawyer who wants to be a General Counsel of a small technology company in 5 years. Not that we want you to leave Mapbox (!), but we are training cross-functional generalists that are able to understand and practically address business problems and risk and who can work in a variety of cross-functional areas – which is the perfect training for a General Counsel.
While work/life balance is important to everyone, we work harder than other bigger in-house departments that have more resources and support. If you’re looking for a 9 to 5 job, this isn’t likely for you.
What We Believe are Important Qualifications
- JD degree from ABA-accredited law school and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 7+ years of practicing attorney experience, with 2+ years at a top-tier law firm in any area and 5+ years in-house, at a technology company.
- Extensive experience working on complex IP licensing and commercial agreements.
- Candidates with an engineering, computer science or other technical background will have an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills. Your writing and verbal communications need to be clear and concise.
- A practical and customer-centric orientation and negotiation style. You understand (or will quickly learn) the business deal so you know what matters and what doesn't and will focus on practical resolutions to speed deals through the pipeline.
- A sense of humor. We take our work seriously, but try not to take ourselves too seriously.
- Bonus points for experience with/interest in privacy law.
- The legal team is currently working from home, but most of us are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We will consider remote candidates who live in other parts of the US.
- If your resume doesn’t clearly demonstrate the first 3 bullets above, you should include a cover note as to why you are interested in this role and why you think you would be a good fit despite not meeting those criteria. Resumes without a cover note in those circumstances will likely not be considered.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for all Mapbox employees:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave and flexibility for the things that come up in life.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Applicant Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is the location data platform for mobile and web applications. We provide building blocks to add location features like maps, search, and navigation into any experience you create. We’re changing the way people move around cities and explore our world. Through the apps Mapbox powers, we reach more than 300 million people each month. Location is built into the fabric of our daily experiences. Whether you’re exploring a city with Lonely Planet, sharing with friends on Snapchat, seeing if it’s going to rain on Weather.com, tracking breaking news on Bloomberg, or checking your ETA in Lyft — location is essential to every one of these applications, and they’re powered by Mapbox. We craft beautiful maps and developer-friendly location data, APIs, and SDKs so that you’re free to focus on designing, building, and developing your application. Our open-source tools let analytics companies understand big geo data, drone companies publish flyovers, real estate sites visualize properties, satellite companies process cloud-free imagery, and insurance companies track assets. Mapbox proudly embraces our open-source roots. We work in the open and release as much code as possible. We believe it’s the right thing for people, technology, and business.
Want to learn more about Mapbox? Visit Mapbox's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.