Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Maps organization is responsible for services that process and deliver map data, map styles, map rendering, and interactivity to customers. We’ve built our maps platform around well-defined data, styling, and rendering primitives that can be combined to create new experiences. Think Web Standards for Maps. Customers find ways to take our vector tiles, style specification, and SDKs to create 3D running maps through clouds, fictional cartoon worlds, or data visualizations showing all pickup/dropoff locations in NYC. We tie all these specifications together into a single web editing interface called Mapbox Studio.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented Sr. Frontend Engineer to join our Studio team. You will
- Facilitate and make informed technical decisions that drive the long term vision for maps at Mapbox.
- Build workflow tools that enable our map designers to create beautiful maps faster and easier.
- Solve complex architecture problems in an extensible, maintainable way. Bring clarity to complex technical problems across the organization.
- Participate in the design process by listening to users, attending design critiques, and providing guidance and feedback informed by a deep understanding of technical constraints.
In this role, expect to:
- Collaborate with the team to identify and scope out well-defined tasks
- Execute on the scope and be accountable for delivering on time with quality
- Able to write approachable, performant code with comprehensive tests and thorough documentation.
- Love to make your customers and colleagues jobs easier through automation
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox’s customer base.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, writing documentation, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Reduce technical debt, share your knowledge, and invest in your teammates’ health and happiness, while optimizing application performance and accelerating feature velocity.
- Dedicated to passing on the knowledge you’ve gained to others through pair programming, code reviews, and devlogs
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Demonstrated ability working with web and/or client-side technologies.
- Expertise with state management solutions like Redux. Know how to design states of the application/component
- Experience in integrating the REST APIs.
- Hands-on experience with Typescript
- Hands-On exposure with multiple styling solutions, CSS, Sass or Less.
- Familiarity with code versioning tools, such as GitHub
- Ability to engage, learn and contribute quickly to the initiatives
- Experience with testing and test frameworks (e.g. Cypress, Jest) is a plus
- Passion for the operational excellence of your systems including aspects of: monitoring and metrics, triaging regressions, resolving customer issues, and improving a product continually over time.
- Able to perform independently all the development tasks, based on designs and specs.
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, pairing and both written and verbal discussion.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Mapbox is the location data platform for mobile and web applications. We provide building blocks to add location features like maps, search, and navigation into any experience you create. We’re changing the way people move around cities and explore our world. Through the apps Mapbox powers, we reach more than 300 million people each month. Location is built into the fabric of our daily experiences. Whether you’re exploring a city with Lonely Planet, sharing with friends on Snapchat, seeing if it’s going to rain on Weather.com, tracking breaking news on Bloomberg, or checking your ETA in Lyft — location is essential to every one of these applications, and they’re powered by Mapbox. We craft beautiful maps and developer-friendly location data, APIs, and SDKs so that you’re free to focus on designing, building, and developing your application. Our open-source tools let analytics companies understand big geo data, drone companies publish flyovers, real estate sites visualize properties, satellite companies process cloud-free imagery, and insurance companies track assets. Mapbox proudly embraces our open-source roots. We work in the open and release as much code as possible. We believe it’s the right thing for people, technology, and business.
Want to learn more about Mapbox? Visit Mapbox's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.