Software Engineering Intern - Summer 2020 - New York
Mark43, New York
The New Public Safety Platform
We are not able to offer F1 Or J1 sponsorships this summer but we recommend Canadian students apply for the internship based in our Toronto Office!
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new standard for the tools upon which our first responders rely. Our users are diverse, and we are therefore committed to embracing diversity of thought and experience within our team.
Mark43 seeks smart and ambitious college engineers for our summer internship program. While working at Mark43 as a summer intern, you'll be fully integrated with the team, working on product features that will eventually be put into production. This will be a well rounded full-stack coding experience. You will also be working alongside product managers and designers, so by the end of the summer, you'll be able to fully appreciate the full lifecycle of a feature from start to finish. Because we are building complex mission critical software, the ideal intern candidate is pretty far along in college, preferably having completed their junior year prior to starting the internship. Prior internship experience building enterprise software would be an ideal background for our summer interns.
What you can expect to work on:
- Building new features for our products from the ground up
- Debugging code written by other engineers
- Collaborating with design and product teams to understand feature requirements
- Documenting your work in a clear and concise manner
- Gaining an understanding of the many moving parts of a complex enterprise software platform
- Continuously improving your coding skills while working alongside a talented and high performing engineering team
What we expect from you:
- Server side development experience; we use Java
- Experience with web architecture, such as HTTP & RESTful APIs
- A demonstrated understanding of core CS concepts such as data structures and algorithms
- Willingness to empathize with users who may be unlike yourself
- Coming to work with an open mind and leaving your ego at the door
- Ownership over your own work and a commitment to every part of a task, from big picture to small details
- An attitude that is self-motivated, humble, detail oriented, and committed to quality
What you can expect from us:
- Hands-on mentorship from a seasoned member of our team
- Building mission critical and socially responsible software to enable first responders to better serve their communities
- The opportunity to see your work in action, whether in deployed internal tools or fully launched features
- Constant collaboration with numerous Mark43 teams, including design, product management, and implementation
- A team that respects and embraces your ideas and expertise
- Coworkers that are motivated by pursuing excellence, rather than the prospect of personal gain
- A workplace dedicated to supporting and bettering public safety and government agencies
- Regularly scheduled team social events and other summer activities, such as our engineering Hackathon
We recommend Canadian students apply for the internship based in our Toronto Office!
About us Mark43 unites a set of public safety software tools securely in the cloud, making access to reliable and actionable information a reality for first responders.