Note: Portfolios for this position will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Phone interviews will begin in January 2018.
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new design standard for the tools our first responders rely on.
Come join our design team this summer as a paid intern, and learn what it’s like to design software for police officers, detectives, and 911 dispatchers. You’ll be working not only with award-winning designers, but also directly with some of the industry’s best product managers and engineers. The intern projects at Mark43 are real problems we need solved and have in the past included: a real-time map for dispatchers to keep track of first responders on the street, as well as a tool to sift through user logs to prevent corruption. Get ready to be intellectually challenged and have your design skills stretched!
The Mark43 team has received the following awards:
- Interaction 17 - Best in Category, Connecting (2017)
- Interaction 17 - Finalist, Empowering (2017)
- Interaction 17 - Shortlisted, Disrupting (2017)
- GovTech - Top 100 Award Recipient (2016, 2017)
- Code for America - Best in Government Technology Awards (2015)
- Fast Company - The Most Innovative Companies of 2015
What you can expect to achieve
- Learn to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of smart designers, product managers, and engineers
- Work on a complex, challenging, and meaningful projects
- Practice design techniques and process (user research/product testing, flow diagramming, wireframing, prototyping, visual UI design)
What we expect from you
- Solid grasp of design fundamentals (layout, hierarchy, typography, common UI patterns)
- Self-motivated (we love side projects), detail oriented, and committed to quality
- Willingness to empathize with users who may be unlike yourself
- Willingness to justify and defend design decisions
- Interest in technology, civic, and public safety issues
- Portfolio submission so we can get a sense of your work
What you can expect from us
- Mentorship on becoming a great digital product designer
- Constructive and actionable feedback on your work from designers at all levels
- Gain experience at the arising intersection of design/technology/government
- Experience the lightning-pace environment of a fast-growing tech startup in New York City
About us Mark43 unites a set of public safety software tools securely in the cloud, making access to reliable and actionable information a reality for first responders.
Want to learn more about Mark43? Visit Mark43's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sr. UX Researcher
Part-Time UX Design Instructor
General Assembly, Seattle
Senior Creative Team
Senior UX Content Strategist
Endurance International Group, Waltham, MA
Senior UX Researcher
DoorDash, San Francisco, CA
Senior Interactive and Technical Media Writer
Rapid7, Cambridge, MA