Freelance Senior Graphic / Digital Designer
Material World, Brooklyn
Reclaim the value in your closet
A fashion tech startup in Industry City Brooklyn, Material World is using resale as reinvention to change how we think about shopping and expressing ourselves through fashion. We are hiring a senior designer to manage the Creative team and support the design and production of materialworld.co mobile/web, social media and email content as well as advertising and print collateral.
The ideal candidate has a strong sense of style and enjoys working in a fast-paced startup environment where constant change results in opportunities to take on various initiatives and grow through hands-on experience. Strong presentation, organization and collaboration skills are required, bringing a passion for design, photography, type and motion as they come together to create user experiences and branded content. Passionate, nimble and authentic our team thrives on improving our company inside and out. Always innovating, we create opportunities for growth and learning through open communication and believe strongly in developing each other and our company culture.
- Own design direction, strategy, vision and execution: define high-impact UX initiatives and ensure they’re integrated into business strategy
- Collaborate across teams (technology, customer service, marketing, photography, operations) and play a key role in implementing strategy and execution of visual design, brand aesthetic, user experience, content strategy and processes.
- Plan resources across design disciplines to meet the growing needs of the company and hire freelancers while working on longer term plans to build a strong internal design/product team.
- Set and maintain clearly communicated design priorities, processes and deadlines.
- Contribute to design concepts across all media, from website to subway ads, mobile apps to product packaging to create one cohesive, powerful, world-changing brand.
- Core responsibilities include concept and design for materialworld.co editorial product and blog, email and social content. Conceive and execute shooting and editing digital photos and videos, collaborating with internal and external partners as needed.
- This position must ensure all output is brand appropriate, completed on time for both internal and external reviews and at the highest standards. Assist in recommending process improvements and providing documentation for the team.
- 5+ years in user experience design (mobile, web, packaging) - E-commerce experience a plus
- Experience working with senior leadership and ease communicating clearly and often with company stakeholders
- Strong design background building and shipping both digital products at a technology-forward company, as well as demonstrated experience with print.
- Expertise in user-centered design methods including user research & synthesis, exploration, visual design, user testing and prototyping
- Knows how to pull creativity from others while keeping them laser-focused on execution and iteration
- Known for a strong eye, attention to details, and creative problem-solving that can be spoken to other team members and departments at a leadership level
- Passionate about seamless and scalable web experiences and systemic design
- Resourceful and flexible, with exceptional teamwork skills, able to work in a fast-paced, high-productivity environment under tight deadlines
- Discerning, brand-sensitive eye for art direction, photo editing, cropping, and retouching.
- Ability to translate complex design challenges into elegant, intuitive experiences.
- Ability to brainstorm and develop creative concepts that combine branding and commerce; to execute these creative ideas from start to finish; and to manage multiple priorities and meet tight project deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Compensation: $34-$40 hourly rate, commensurate to experience.
About Material World
Material World was created to empower people to reinvent themselves with a seamless fashion trade-in service. Built to make refreshing your closet fast, hassle-free and rewarding, Material World finds a new home for each quality piece received, so you can enjoy evolving your style while also extending the lifecycle of your fashion purchases.
Want to learn more about Material World? Visit Material World's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.