Sr. Rails Engineer
Medidata Solutions, New York, NY
Medidata Solutions is transforming clinical development
Our Industry: Where we play
We sit at the intersection of the technology and life sciences industries. As the market leader -- we drive change into clinical trials by providing the (IOHO) best clinical development platform that enables our clients to further improve the accuracy, timeliness and ease trial planning, data collection, and data analysis. This results in safer, more effective, and less costly treatments that can reach the general population sooner. We are publicly traded (MDSO) and are the market leading clinical trial software company with over 500 clients, retention rates above 99%, and the experience of supporting more than 10,000 clinical trials around the world.
Every employee is passionate about our mission of powering smarter treatments and healthier people as the difference technology can make in the space is truly world changing.
Medidata is looking for an experienced full-stack software engineer to design, enhance and implement new features and functionality in Medidata’s Randomization and Trial Supply Line Management (RTSM) Service - Balance. RTSM is a critical piece of the clinical trial process and part of Medidata’s strategy to grow to over one billion dollars in revenue.
Balance is a mature, single-instance, multi-tenant web application supporting hundreds of clinical trials. Our application is built with Ruby on Rails, uses a MySQL database and is hosted in AWS. Our front end uses HTML, CSS, jQuery, AJAX and BootStrap. As an engineer on Balance, you'll be challenged both to develop new features in response to market demand and improve the performance and scalability of the application to meet the rapidly growing user base.
As a Senior Applications Engineer you will have the opportunity to work as an individual contributor or as a technical lead of a team of developers, based on the size and scope of a feature.
- Design and enhance features for a large-scale service environment using OO principles with a deep focus on performance, scalability, quality and extensibility
- Full stack development, including APIs, using Ruby on Rails
- Embrace test-driven development with complete code coverage and continuous integration
- Provide diagnostic support and fix bugs for service features
- Follow Medidata’s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements
- Work with Agile team members, particularly Software Quality Assurance and Product Management, to write clear, concise and comprehensive feature files
- Participate in Agile working practices such as daily scrum meetings, sprint planning meetings, reviews and retrospectives
- Share your knowledge and experience with a highly motivated and collaborative team in regards to code reviews, software designs as well as all other engineering and business aspects
- Proven technical leadership regarding feature design, enhancement and implementation within a single instance multi-tenant service environment
- Ability to solve complex problems and provide solutions that can be applied optimally in a service environment
- Strong cross team collaboration skills
- Effective communication skills to relay technical information to various cross functional teams and clients
- Effectively execute processes associated with the software development life cycle
Your Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; or equivalent years of experience
- Extensive experience supporting an entire stack built with Rails
- Experience with SQL optimization and database schema design (we use MySQL)
- Experience with Git
- Experience designing and writing unit tests, step definitions and scenarios to maintain a high level of code coverage and quality standards
- Experience working with Agile methods such as Scrum preferred
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
- THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
- TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
- DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
- LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
- TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
About Medidata Solutions
Medidata Solutions is a Life Sciences Technology Provider dedicated to improving the way Clinical Research is designed, conducted, and analyzed. Through a fully integrated cloud based platform, data assets, analytics, and services, they power smarter treatments and healthier people. Committed to patients and healthcare professionals, the team has helped conduct 12,000+ studies, comprising 3.4 million test subjects.
Want to learn more about Medidata Solutions? Visit Medidata Solutions's website.
Jobs You May Like
Twitch, San Francisco, CA
Support Engineer - SEAL Team
Senior Front-end Software Engineer, Los Angeles
Smarkets, Downtown Los Angeles
Professional Services ITSM Consultant - West
Cherwell Software, United States
EPMO Innovation Team - Summer Employee
Merrill, St. Paul, MN (USA)
Senior Software Engineer
Qumulo, Seattle, WA