Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
Activity on Meetup is growing faster than ever and by studying it, we're learning how to help members discover the Meetups that are right for them -- sparking more new ways to make their worlds come alive greater than ever before. While our team is small, our impact is amplified by the breadth of problems we get to solve and engineer every day. We are a collaborative and dedicated team seeking data engineers to join us in designing and building the future vision of Meetup.
You imagine a world more easily connected, where people come together in real life, meet, and do more of the things that contribute to their lives. You are inspired by the people you work with, sharing ideas and ways to connect multiple systems and tech together:
- Collaborate with the Machine Learning team to build performant algorithms and provide low-latency data updates that can scale to thousands of requests per second
- Develop your leadership skills while mentoring other specialists
- Collaborate with data scientists to build our interactive analytics platform supporting the Product and Strategy teams
You look to push yourself in how you think about applied machine learning, you are motivated by the challenges from engineering to machine learning, from deployment to production, and more. You're not interested in building within a silo, but democratic in team problem-solving. And what you've come to know after each day, is a renewed excitement knowing you've made a difference on a product that has the ability to transform people's lives every day.
- Collaborate with product and design to leverage data and algorithms to help people Meetup
- Implement machine learning algorithms in modern cloud (AWS, Google Cloud) and horizontally scalable environments (MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark)
- Recruit and present on behalf of Meetup at technical conferences and Meetups
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field
- 5+ years work/educational experience with data engineering, machine learning engineering, or platform development.
- Develop code fluently in Scala, Java or Python
- Can evolve Avro and Parquet schemas tailored to solve specific workloads
- Hands-on experience with data warehousing, streaming architectures, machine learning pipelines and workload scheduling (Airflow)
- Fluency with both relational (MySQL, Aurora, Postgres, Redshift) and NoSQL (DynamoDB, Redis) database design and application development
- Experience with RESTful APIs
Our team is bold, supportive, and passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change and building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?
About Meetup Meetup brings people together in thousands of cities to do more of what they want to do in life. It is organized around one simple idea: when we get together and do the things that matter to us, we’re at our best. And that’s what Meetup does. It brings people together to do, explore, teach and learn the things that help them come alive. For example, people run marathons, thanks to running Meetups. They write, thanks to writing Meetups. They change their careers, thanks to career Meetups. Because at Meetups, people welcome each other. They talk, help, mentor, and support each other – all in pursuit of moving their lives forward. Learn more on the Meetup HQ Blog.