Mercari is the selling app. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don’t use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 45M+ downloads in the U.S. and 150k new listings every day, we're just getting started.
We are aggressively growing our Backend team to develop leading-edge microservices.
Recent Engineering Achievements:
- We built a data pipeline to analyze the status, weight, and cost of every item shipped on Mercari, and a machine learning model to suggest the best shipping options for sellers. This reduced shipping mistakes by over half.
- At Go Bold Days (internal hackathon), we created instant listings where you can list an item with full details by just taking one picture.
- We also built a price scanner where you can get an estimate of the item price by pointing your phone's camera to it.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Coding in Go and Python
- Work with/on microservices running on Kubernetes.
- Build and operate ETL pipeline at scale.
- Work with Product Managers and Designers for design and specification of our product.
- Collaborate with iOS and Android engineers to develop new features on our product.
- Collaborate with ML and Data Engineers to develop and bring to production new features on out product
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve backend services and ETL processes for our product.
- Automation of processes related to data products and machine learning products.
- Write and maintain technical documentation.
- Manage own project requirements, deadlines and qualities.
- Collaborate with QA Engineers to test and deliver the feature with high-quality and high-speed.
What You'll Need:
You are a software engineer with:
- 2-5 years of Java or Python
- Experience working on cloud infrastructures like GCP or AWS
- Solid understanding in the machine learning space.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Experience using a ticket management system, preferably Jira
- Experience developing and managing microservices
- Knowledge of container and orchestration tech like Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with a variety of DBs (SQL and NoSQL)
- Proficient computer science background such as a bachelor's degree
- A willingness to learn and build out production data pipelines
Nice To Haves:
- Industry experience building and productionizing data pipelines.
- Industry experience programming in Go in a production environment
Technologies We Use:
- Databases: GCP Spanner & SQL & Redis
- API: Go & Python
- Big Data: BigQuery
- Containers & Orchestration: Docker, Kubernetes
- Web Services & Hosting: Google Cloud Platform (GCP) & AWS
Mercari nurtures an all for one environment where teamwork and innovative thinking is the priority.
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- 401k match
- Life & disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- New parent paid leave
- Rocket Lawyer legal services
- Fond perks and rewards
- Commuter reimbursement
- Time when you need it - unlimited vacation days
- Catered lunches everyday
- Team outings and events
Who We Are We believe the world needs a place where people can exchange their loved goods. That’s why we built Mercari—to connect people who want to buy and sell things of emotional value through their mobile phones. Mercari has grown to become a leading community-powered marketplace that brings together millions of people every day.