Merrill combines great people, best practices and advanced technology while empowering the communications of the world’s leading companies and professionals who support them. Whether it’s sales, finance, human resources, information technology and more, consider unleashing your talent at Merrill Corporation.
We are looking for a talented UI / Front End Engineer to work closely with Product, UX and other Engineering team members, as part of a new London-based Product team. We want someone who is seeking the opportunity to have a big impact and who relishes the challenge of working in a fast-paced global company in the Financial sector utilising Design Thinking and Agile Delivery.
This person will solve problems with technology within an industry they may not be familiar with, generate breakthrough ideas, prototype and deliver working software quickly to enable testing and short-cycle innovation. You will be in an environment that fosters cross-functional collaboration as well as working with all roles of the scrum team (Product Manager, Software Engineer, UX, QA, etc.) and will need to bring a strong understanding of Agile/Scrum development methodologies. We follow the squad model made famous by Spotify, so you'll be part of an autonomous team with full responsibility for your own area and an opportunity to look to implement change across the board, while collaborating with colleagues in the US to ensure fast and consistent delivery.
This role will offer an opportunity to innovate in a highly complex space. You’ll be challenged intellectually and professionally and it will suit someone with a lot of curiosity and a passion for building great products.
What are we building?
Merrill is building a new platform to provide powerful and innovative solutions to enable our clients to manage the most complex deals on the planet as efficiently as possible.
We want to be the easiest, fastest and most intuitive way to progress deals to a successful outcome – enabling the bankers, lawyers and professionals we work alongside to focus on doing what they do best for their clients.
The new core platform is a micro services architecture with multiple web/mobile applications built on top. We are leveraging a combination of open source and third-party libraries/frameworks such as Eureka (service discovery), MongoDB (NoSQL), Elastic Search (search), Pivotal Cloud Foundry (cloud native), Microsoft Azure (cloud service platform) and many more.
We are looking for talented engineers to join the London team, working on front end development. This team will have many opportunities to learn new technology and innovate on the products. The immediate need is for someone to:
- Collaborate with both technical and business team members to understand requirements and develop solutions using an agile development process
- Hands-on development - deliver a highly scalable and flexible application to be iterated on with our reference customers
- Follow best practices within the stack and move the code toward a modular UI distributed across multiple applications
- Collaborate with other scrum teams that are responsible for pieces of the platform and applications
To be successful in this role you must be a quick learner, very familiar with agile practices and software development and enjoy working in cross functional teams.
Our Ideal Candidate will have:
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering experience:
- Proficiency in modern MV*(MVC, MVVM, etc..) framework(s) e.g. Angular, Backbonejs, ExtJS, etc.
- Proficiency with UI testing using third party tools e.g. cucumber/capybara, karma, mocha or jasmine, etc.
- Experience with Single Page Applications (SPAs)
- Ability to write code that can support modular/scalable UI architecture
- Familiar with modern CSS libraries or view libraries e.g. Bootstrap, Angular Material, etc.
- Familiar with UI build tools e.g. gulp, grunt etc.
- Familiar with Continuous Integration (CI) / Continuous Delivery (CD)
- Familiar with ES2015 (ES6), TypeScript, etc.
- Solid understanding of the full web stack (e.g. HTTP, headers, caching, etc.)
- Familiar with RESTful API design and microservice architectures
- Responsive and/or web mobile design
- Technical aptitude and attention to detail
- Experience work as part of a development team
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to make decisions and execute at speed
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
Additionally, the following would be helpful:
- Full Stack development experience
- Experience of working within the squad model, and internal open source development
- Exposure in using Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) /SpringBoot with a NoSQL DB and a search tool like MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis, etc.
- Product development or large-scale web app development experience
- Familiarity with back end development with Java or another language
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, high energy
- A passion for quality
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Experience training and mentoring team members
Merrill is an international organization that offers technology-enabled platforms for secure content sharing, regulated communications, and disclosure services for the world of international finance.
For half a century, they've provided the tools to help some of the biggest companies in the world connect with speed, accuracy, and confidence. And in 2000, they became the first online management resource legally required for publicly traded companies.
Their digital transformation, in partnership with Microsoft and Pivotal Software, now allows clients to leverage highly innovative technology and advanced analytics, alongside ironclad security - all without losing the human touch.
And the transformation continues - Merrill is opening a digital innovation lab in New York in 2018.
As a global organization, Merrill knows that diverse perspectives are essential to our success. We’re committed to maintaining a diverse workforce to serve our customers around the world. Merrill is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and furthers the principles of EEO through Affirmative Action.
Be a Better Merrill Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Merrill when you watch classes taught by their top employees.