On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
We are looking for talented Staff Software Engineers to join our growing San Francisco software engineering team!
About the role
Applying for car insurance involves answering a lot of confusing questions. Metromile’s Software Engineering team is working to implement a shorter, cleaner, more user-friendly workflow. If you’re a seasoned engineer who understands business, enjoys engineering and is looking to quickly ship new projects, we want to talk to you. We aim to hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on challenges and make an impact!
- Work as a part of a small cross-functional team on high-impact projects
- Design, create and own high quality, scalable and heavily tested web applications across our stack
- Evolve our systems through solid architectural design and drive best practices through code review
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers across our organization
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional team(s), partnering across engineering, product, design, and our users to develop solutions that serve those needs
- 7+ years experience designing, building, and maintaining distributed web applications and services
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Fluent in one or more server-side programming languages (e.g. Java, Go, Python)
- Experience with Spring MVC
- Strong knowledge of relational (MySQL/Postgres) and non-relational databases
- Analytical and can identify and weigh architectural design tradeoffs
- You mastered solid Design Principles
- You care about quality and you know what it means to produce high quality code
- An ability to mentor others and make the work of those around you better
Nice to Have:
- Experience with AWS and services built on top of it
- A solid understanding of performance and efficiency concepts
- A strong customer orientation
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Transportation and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Social events
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Us If you live in the city, chances are you get around in a variety of different ways – your car, public transit, your bike, maybe even your own two feet. Which got us thinking – if the way you use your car in the city changes, then shouldn’t the entire notion of what it means to insure, own and operate your car change, too? Revolutionizing car ownership to fit your urban lifestyle is what Metromile is all about. By taking our deep understanding of data and transforming it into information and services that make having a car less expensive, more convenient, and smarter, we aim to make the urban car experience as simple as it can be. And for some, we hope to make car ownership a possibility where it wasn’t before. We started by creating an entirely new model of car insurance that enables low-mileage drivers to save hundreds of dollars a year. We went even further and released smart technology offerings that quantify the nuts and bolts of your daily driving, providing useful insights and notifications — everything from remote diagnoses of your car’s mechanical problems to sending you automated street sweeping alerts. In the future, we plan on simplifying nearly all aspects of urban driving — so that you can just enjoy the benefits of having a car, without the unnecessary expenses and hassles.