Metromile is a start-up that is disrupting the $185 billion car insurance market by offering an entirely new model where the monthly bill is based on miles driven, paired with a smart driving app. Our product marries engineering and data science to deliver mobile technology, automotive telematics, and data-driven applications to make a car's data accessible and useful to modern drivers, including street sweeping alerts, trip stats, decoded check-engine lights, and car location. We aim to make car ownership as simple and affordable as it can be.
About the role
Metromile is seeking a Data Engineer with proven experience in designing and expanding data ingestion pipelines to join our Data Science team. This person will partner with analysts, engineers, and data scientists to identify novel data features, incorporate them into our existing data stores, and ensure timely availability to power our decision-making processes.
You will work with telematics data streaming in near real-time from connected cars across the US as well as our mobile and web analytics data. As one of only three data engineers, this role will be well suited to you if you are excited by opportunities to architect scalable and reliable data pipelines to power the entire company.
- Work with partners to gather information and serve data on many aspects of our business
- Build and maintain our ETLs and scale our core data warehouse model
- Design lambda or kappa architecture data systems
- Implement systems for tracking the consistency, quality, and use of our data
- 3+ years professional experience
- You have proficiency with relational databases, SQL, and dimensional and star schema modeling
- Experience in high level programming language such as java, scala or python
- You have experience with touch point/experimentation systems: Segment, Mixpanel, Optimizely
- Deep understanding of building Machine Learning models using scikit-learn, spark ml, or R
- You have built and held responsibility for ETLs within streaming data platforms such as Kafka and Kinesis
- You have worked with data serialization formats such as json, avro, and protobuf
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Benefits (health, dental, vision)
- Transportation and gym benefits
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- In office happy hour every Friday
- Monthly social events (trivia nights, skeeball, ropes course, etc)
- Mac equipment and ergonomic workstation, customized to your specs
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
About Us If you live in the city, chances are you get around in a variety of different ways – your car, public transit, your bike, maybe even your own two feet. Which got us thinking – if the way you use your car in the city changes, then shouldn’t the entire notion of what it means to insure, own and operate your car change, too? Revolutionizing car ownership to fit your urban lifestyle is what Metromile is all about. By taking our deep understanding of data and transforming it into information and services that make having a car less expensive, more convenient, and smarter, we aim to make the urban car experience as simple as it can be. And for some, we hope to make car ownership a possibility where it wasn’t before. We started by creating an entirely new model of car insurance that enables low-mileage drivers to save hundreds of dollars a year. We went even further and released smart technology offerings that quantify the nuts and bolts of your daily driving, providing useful insights and notifications — everything from remote diagnoses of your car’s mechanical problems to sending you automated street sweeping alerts. In the future, we plan on simplifying nearly all aspects of urban driving — so that you can just enjoy the benefits of having a car, without the unnecessary expenses and hassles.