Metromile is a start-up that is disrupting the $185 billion car insurance market by offering an entirely new model where the monthly bill is based on miles driven, paired with a smart driving app. Our product marries engineering and data science to deliver mobile technology, automotive telematics, and data-driven applications to make a car's data accessible and useful to modern drivers, including street sweeping alerts, trip stats, decoded check-engine lights, and car location. We aim to make car ownership as simple and affordable as it can be.
You could think of us as the David to the auto insurance industry's Goliath. Buckle up and get ready to drive with Metromile.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
Metromile is seeking an experienced Data Scientist to join our growing team. You will work with partners from across our company to support and grow our business. Your modeling will draw on data resources from connected vehicles, model & web analytics data to understand key customer outcomes affecting car insurance such as claims and fraud. You’ll love this role if you are excited by opportunities to explore diverse data sources in a collaborative and dynamic environment with a strong product focus.
- Work with a diverse team of M.S. and Ph.D. level data scientists who enjoy learning new methodologies at our weekly data science seminar
- Own end-to-end data science projects from the discovery & exploration phase through to implementation into mission critical systems to detect fraud within our claims process
- Communicate data science models to a range of stakeholders, incorporate their feedback to ensure our models have the best impacts on the business
- Use your models to influence business decisions across the business
- Monitor the performance of your models prior to and following their release
- Degree in a math-based discipline, Master's preferred
- 5 years of relevant industry experience in machine learning or a computer science PhD, with 2+ years industry experience
- Relevant experience includes modeling of high-dimensional data for both regression and classification tasks
- Proficiency with Python or another interpreted programming language like R and experience with scikit-learn or spark ml
- Your prior experience was within the insurtech or autonomous vehicle space
- You have tackled fraud detection in a prior role
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Benefits (health, dental, vision)
- Transportation and gym benefits
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- In office happy hour every Friday
- Monthly social events (trivia nights, skeeball, ropes course, etc)
- Mac equipment and ergonomic workstation, customized to your specs
About Us If you live in the city, chances are you get around in a variety of different ways – your car, public transit, your bike, maybe even your own two feet. Which got us thinking – if the way you use your car in the city changes, then shouldn’t the entire notion of what it means to insure, own and operate your car change, too? Revolutionizing car ownership to fit your urban lifestyle is what Metromile is all about. By taking our deep understanding of data and transforming it into information and services that make having a car less expensive, more convenient, and smarter, we aim to make the urban car experience as simple as it can be. And for some, we hope to make car ownership a possibility where it wasn’t before. We started by creating an entirely new model of car insurance that enables low-mileage drivers to save hundreds of dollars a year. We went even further and released smart technology offerings that quantify the nuts and bolts of your daily driving, providing useful insights and notifications — everything from remote diagnoses of your car’s mechanical problems to sending you automated street sweeping alerts. In the future, we plan on simplifying nearly all aspects of urban driving — so that you can just enjoy the benefits of having a car, without the unnecessary expenses and hassles.
Want to learn more about metromile? Visit metromile's website.
Jobs You May Like
TALA, Santa Monica
Senior Research Scientist, Deep Learning
Clarifai, San Francisco, CA (SF)
Population Health Operations Analyst
Oscar, New York
Vettery, New York
Director of Fraud
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Bioinformatics Scientist - Population Geneticist/Epidemiologist
Helix, San Carlos