Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
As a Staff Software Engineer, DevOps at Metromile you will help keep the engines running at top efficiency. Our stack of Linux, Java, Nginx serve all the requests all the time in millisecond response time. You will strive to make our batch jobs finish before they start. Our developers will love you for giving them the tools to deploy new microservice projects every other week at the touch of a button.
- 7+ Years using Linux/Ubuntu/Debian/RedHat.
- Strong knowledge with AWS and some of their 3 letter services.
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration.
- Experience with major configuration management tools like Salt, Ansible, Puppet or CFEngine.
- Experience with scripting languages like Python, Bash or Perl.
- Experience standing up and administering monitoring and metrics tools like Nagios, Sensu, Graphite, etc.
- Experience with continuous integration servers like Jenkins.
- Experience with Mysql, Postgres, DynamoDB and interests in Aurora.
- Familiarity with Linux internals.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics or Math, or equivalent work experience.
- A passion for learning new things.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Us If you live in the city, chances are you get around in a variety of different ways – your car, public transit, your bike, maybe even your own two feet. Which got us thinking – if the way you use your car in the city changes, then shouldn’t the entire notion of what it means to insure, own and operate your car change, too? Revolutionizing car ownership to fit your urban lifestyle is what Metromile is all about. By taking our deep understanding of data and transforming it into information and services that make having a car less expensive, more convenient, and smarter, we aim to make the urban car experience as simple as it can be. And for some, we hope to make car ownership a possibility where it wasn’t before. We started by creating an entirely new model of car insurance that enables low-mileage drivers to save hundreds of dollars a year. We went even further and released smart technology offerings that quantify the nuts and bolts of your daily driving, providing useful insights and notifications — everything from remote diagnoses of your car’s mechanical problems to sending you automated street sweeping alerts. In the future, we plan on simplifying nearly all aspects of urban driving — so that you can just enjoy the benefits of having a car, without the unnecessary expenses and hassles.