Metromile is a start-up that is disrupting the $185 billion car insurance market by offering an entirely new model where the monthly bill is based on miles driven, paired with a smart driving app. Our product marries insurance savvy, engineering, and data science to deliver mobile technology, automotive telematics, and data-driven applications to make a car's data accessible and useful to modern drivers, including street sweeping alerts, trip stats, decoded check-engine lights, and car location. You could think of us as the David to the auto insurance industry's Goliath. Buckle up and get ready to drive with Metromile.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the Insurance Analyst role
At Metromile, we have an aggressive growth roadmap where we need an analytically minded person to ensure our underwriting practices are enforced, effective, and scalable while aggressively seeking improvements and inventing future processes to make our roadmap a reality. We need someone that can go deep; someone who can challenge our data, understand nuances, reconcile discrepancies, and get the right answer. At the same time, we need a strategic thinker with a strong sense of insurance risks that can keep business initiatives top of mind and find the right balance between speed and accuracy. We move quickly, and so do you.
- Design, develop, implement, and document analytical tools/reports related to the profitability of book
- Identify sources of loss and create underwriting actions to combat them, including contributing to development of predictive analytics models
- Identify potential behavior indicative of moral hazard and determine preventive or risk-mitigating measures with a focus on scalable and automated processes
- Monitor, create and improve underwriting processes to reduce costs, improve risk identification/risk management/segmentation, and increase proportion of fully-automated sales
- Contribute to the creation/modification of underwriting guidelines/rules
- Vet new products in marketplace to reduce costs, improve risk identification/segmentation, and/or address known issues aimed at lowering combined ratios
- Previous experience using SQL (with exposure to/familiarity with ETL processes) REQUIRED
- Familiarity with data visualization tools including proven ability in or willingness to learn Tableau
- Data-driven decision maker with ability to complete thorough research and investigation while balancing time constraints
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects at a time while paying meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent negotiation, analytical, communication, and presentation skills with the ability to balance the strategic and the tactical
- Ability to work effectively as an independent contributor and to collaborate and influence in a team-based environment
- Strives for excellence but recognizes done is better than perfect
- Receptive to feedback, adapt to changing priorities, willing to learn, seeks continuous improvement
- 3+ years experience in a data-driven analyst role, focusing on insurance systems with prior experience developing dashboards, scorecards, benchmarks, and KPIs to analyze books of business. P&C insurance experience is preferred
- Bachelor's Degree (B.A./B.S.) required in business or a quantitative discipline (math, statistics, computer science, etc.) or equivalent work experience
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Benefits (health, dental, vision)
- Transportation and gym benefits
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- In office happy hour every Friday
- Monthly social events (trivia nights, skeeball, ropes course, etc)
- Mac equipment and ergonomic workstation, customized to your specs
About Us If you live in the city, chances are you get around in a variety of different ways – your car, public transit, your bike, maybe even your own two feet. Which got us thinking – if the way you use your car in the city changes, then shouldn’t the entire notion of what it means to insure, own and operate your car change, too? Revolutionizing car ownership to fit your urban lifestyle is what Metromile is all about. By taking our deep understanding of data and transforming it into information and services that make having a car less expensive, more convenient, and smarter, we aim to make the urban car experience as simple as it can be. And for some, we hope to make car ownership a possibility where it wasn’t before. We started by creating an entirely new model of car insurance that enables low-mileage drivers to save hundreds of dollars a year. We went even further and released smart technology offerings that quantify the nuts and bolts of your daily driving, providing useful insights and notifications — everything from remote diagnoses of your car’s mechanical problems to sending you automated street sweeping alerts. In the future, we plan on simplifying nearly all aspects of urban driving — so that you can just enjoy the benefits of having a car, without the unnecessary expenses and hassles.
Want to learn more about metromile? Visit metromile's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Financial Analyst
Pivotal Software, San Francisco, California
Notarize, Arlington, VA
Flexport, Atlanta, GA
Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Officer
Manager, Marketing Music
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Commercial Business Analyst (m/f) | Hamburg
Kreditech, Hamburg Office