VP, People & Culture
Mic, New York, NY
Mic exists to help young people make sense of a rapidly changing world.
Mic is seeking a Vice President of People & Culture to oversee all aspects of human resource management, practices, and people operations for the business. This position will be responsible for providing counsel to the executive leadership team as well as driving organizational development, talent management, employee relations, and recruiting. We are looking for someone who is collaborative, an exceptional communicator, will thrive in a fast-paced environment, and truly excited about Mic’s mission.
This position is based in our New York City office and reports directly to our President.
- Work closely with our Executive Team to foster a culture that promotes Mic’s mission and maintains the highest standards of professionalism
- Facilitate organizational development; thinking through current and future roles, responsibilities, and workflows and how each will affect the business as we scale
- Build strong people managers and a repeatable model for manager effectiveness training
- Develop clear lines for career pathing, from individual contributor through the executive level
- Own company-wide goal setting and 360 review process
- Provide guidance and support on employee relations issues, working alongside departments leads as needed
- Oversee recruiting strategy; drive best practices to attract top talent, plan for staffing resources, promote diversity and inclusion
- Collaborate with SVP of Finance on benefits analysis and programs such as performance bonuses, compensation structures, and 401K
- Partner with Head of Communications on Mic’s public presence and employer branding
- Foster clear communication plans around organizational change
- Human Resources leader with 10-15 years of experience working at both a strategic and executional level
- Subject matter expert with a track record of identifying and implementing effective solutions, consistent with the company’s core values
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, particularly in building relationships with leadership teams and department leads
- Aligned with Mic’s editorial mission, company vision and values
- Entrepreneurial spirit and previous exposure to high-growth enterprises is a plus
- Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment but works well independently
- Excited about the challenge of fostering and strengthening a young, smart community of journalists, creatives, salespeople, and beyond
- Strong philosophy on compensation philosophy, benefits, and incentives
- Command of HR regulations, laws, and requirements
Mic reaches a monthly audience of 65 million with original reporting on the most important issues and diverse perspectives that challenge conventional thinking and give voice to the underrepresented. We consider Mic the leading digital news company for society’s Change Makers, who most influence and impact the world.
Mic was founded in 2011 by Chris Altchek and Jake Horowitz under the shared belief that millennials are inquisitive, have a healthy skepticism for conventional wisdom, and crave substantive news to spark interesting conversations.