Director of Engineering
Mic, New York, NY
Mic exists to help young people make sense of a rapidly changing world.
Mic is looking for a Director of Engineering to join our product org. This position will be responsible for all high-level decisions on technical infrastructure, coaching and growing our engineering talent, and collaborating with other senior leaders across the company. The Director of Engineering will report to Mic’s Publisher, who oversees all content creators and technical staff.
- Oversee a team of ~10 engineers, and partner with recruitment to grow the team
- Create a robust engineering culture that will attract and retain top talent
- Liaise with stakeholders across editorial, data/analytics, and sales to clearly communicate technical resources, timelines, and collect product requirements
- Partner with leaders in product and design to ship high-quality consumer products
- Take ownership for technical decisions on consumer-facing products and internal tools (e.g. data warehouse, dashboards, article editor, CMS)
- First few projects may include:
- Managing video structure to support publishing videos across various platforms (and how we track across each)
- Owning all build vs buy decisions around content management infrastructure
- Working with direct-to-consumer and data engineering teams on segmentation and personalization
- Experience in systems architecture for high-traffic article/video distribution or similar
- Smart about building culture and scaling up a team
- Demonstrated interest in technical mentorship and training
- Decisiveness & talent for resolving disagreements
- Ability to learn quickly
- Experience with data engineering or ad tech a plus
- Passionate about news and media products, previous experience in the industry a plus
Mic reaches a monthly audience of 65 million with original reporting on the most important issues and diverse perspectives that challenge conventional thinking and give voice to the underrepresented. We consider Mic the leading digital news company for society’s Change Makers, who most influence and impact the world.
Mic was founded in 2011 by Chris Altchek and Jake Horowitz under the shared belief that millennials are inquisitive, have a healthy skepticism for conventional wisdom, and crave substantive news to spark interesting conversations.
Want to learn more about Mic? Visit https://mic.com/about
Jobs You May Like
Strategic Sourcing / Commodity Manager, Autonomous Tech
Lyft, Palo Alto, CA
Software Engineer, New Grad, PhD (2018)
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Software Entwicklerin (m/w)
Software Engineering Internship
Wish, San Francisco, United States
Data Warehouse ETL Developer
Time Inc., Tampa, FL