Position: Data Scientist, Data & Analytics
Reports to: Director, Advanced Analytics at MLB Advanced Media
Who is likely to renew their season tickets? Or churn? Which fans are likely to upgrade to a package? Or buy again? How do we best communicate with fans and encourage them to attend another game?
MLBAM is looking for a Data Scientist to join its Data & Analytics team in our New York City office. The Data & Analytics team aggregates data from hundreds of online and offline sources and leverages it to provide insight, better serve fans, and drive growth for the league and its 30 Clubs.
In this crucial role, you will be responsible for manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from a myriad of sources. You will help drive a deeper understanding of MLB's fans, develop and validate predictive models, partner with Data Engineering to deploy them at scale, and collaborate with the Growth team and Clubs to drive ticket sales, fan engagement and business impact. You will also have the opportunity to present and share insights with business leads at MLB and the 30 Clubs.
If you love Data, Baseball, and delivering work that makes an impact, you've come to the right place.
- Translate business challenges into data pipelines & model framework
- Train, validate, and tune predictive models around fans’ behavior
- Analyze, interpret & communicate the results of experiments
- Deliver business value by translating complex data into meaningful insights
- Effectively present and explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- A strong foundation in probability, statistics, and algorithm development
- Experience programmatically structuring and cleaning data, and not just analyzing highly cleaned data sets
- You're a self-starter that's highly accountable and will take ownership of delivering your work
- Strong understanding of building models, ability to validate and measure efficacy of models via various metrics, and the knowledge to know what metrics make sense for which situation
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in Data Science
- Programming skills that allow you to be self-sufficient in handling data (Python, SQL, Scala, Java)
- Experience with large datasets and distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop, Spark)
- Experience with statistical tools or packages: Python (strongly preferred; specifically with scipy, numpy, scikit-learn etc), R, SAS, SPSS, or Matlab
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (or similar cloud services platform)
About MLB Advanced Media
New York City's largest born-and-bred tech startup, MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) is a full service solutions provider delivering world-class digital experiences for more than 16 years and distributing content through all forms of interactive media. Its digital leadership and capabilities are a direct result of an appreciation for designing dynamic functionality for web, mobile applications, and connected devices while integrating live and on-demand multimedia, providing valuable products for millions of fans around the globe. MLBAM also develops, deploys and distributes the highest-grossing sports app, At Bat, as well as manages live video content for dozens of sports, news and entertainment clients through its technology subsidiary, BAMTech.
BAMTech is a leading technology services and video streaming company owned by MLBAM, The Walt Disney Company and the National Hockey League. Its proprietary technology provides direct-to-consumer video solutions, especially for live events with high viewership, offering viewers high-quality visuals anytime, on any device. Its video platform back-end technology provides flexibility to personalize and enhance content-viewing experiences and is capable of serving live content to tens of millions of consumers around the world. BAMTech's growing roster of sports, news and entertainment clients includes HBO NOW, the NHL, MLB, the PGA TOUR, WWE Network, Riot Games/League of Legends and Ice Network. It also is designing and developing a new multi-sport direct-to-consumer product that will deliver consumers access to a variety of live global professional and collegiate sporting events, expected to launch in 2017. Through a partnership with Discovery, BAMTech also jointly formed BAMTech Europe to represent its expansion into Europe and provide technology services to a broad set of clients across the continent, including Eurosport's digital products.
Want to learn more about MLB Advanced Media? Visit MLB Advanced Media's website.
Jobs You May Like
Data Verification Intern
First Orion Corp., Little Rock, Arkansas
Compliance Analyst (AML/KYC Specialist)
Luno, Cape Town
Senior DevOps Engineer
Cherwell Software, Seattle, WA
Senior Marketing Data Analyst
Manager, Analytics & Business Intelligence
Senior Analyst, Attractions and Rentals
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA