Director of Engineering - AdTech and Data Engineering
MobilityWare, Where Culture Is King
Looking for a fun, innovative, creative, passionate, and stable company in Orange County? Then, let us introduce ourselves. We are MobilityWare and we make fun for a living! Our mobile games have been at the top of the app store since its inception (2008) and we regularly show up in lists for most popular mobile games. We recently reached over 410 million downloads across our portfolio of games!
We've been voted 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Best Places to Work in Orange County by the Orange County Business Journal and OC Register! Headquartered in Irvine, CA., our flagship game, Solitaire, was released on the day the App Store opened in 2008. Other titles include Blackjack, FreeCell, Destination Solitaire, Slots and Spider Solitaire, to name a few. Our vision is to create the most exciting mobile games and have fun doing it.
We are looking for an engineering leader for the MobilityWare Advertising & Data Platform group. The Advertising & Data Platform group at MobilityWare is building a suite of client and server technologies to deliver advertising to our huge audience of engaged players worldwide.
As Technical Director you will manage and drive the strategic direction for team leads, helping them in developing, task planning and leading both on the technical and organizational aspects. You will also assist with the management of resources in other areas such as architecture, devops and data engineering.
You will own technical design and be responsible for the development and operational execution of the advertising and data platform and services. You will create a working environment where top technical talent will thrive and you will lead your team to deliver a top-tier suite of products & services that will delight our advertisers and customers. We are looking for a leader with strong technical acumen who can not only suggest new technologies but also enhance our current technology and raise the acumen of our technical staff. You will work closely with senior product owners and stakeholders to help execute the core product roadmap and report directly to the Chief Technology Office
- Direct, guide and review the work of the Ads & Data Platform full-stack engineering team.
- Work with fast-paced initiatives, overseeing projects from idea conception and strategy development to deployment, production, and operations.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of platforms
- Work closely with other stakeholders to define requirements and translate them into high-performance & scalable architectures
- Partner with Product Management to own the Ads and Data Platform engineering roadmap.
- Partner with Advertising Operations team and Game teams to extend, maintain, scale and operate MobilityWare’s Ad Server.
- Partner with Program Management to produce project schedules and communicate progress.
- Align software engineering practices and products with measurable business objectives.
- This is a hands-on role. You’ll lead your team by example, creating POCs to demonstrate ideas, peer code reviews, contributing to production systems support and feature development.
- Formal degree (BS or MS) in CS, Math or technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Previous relevant experience as a Software Engineering Manager, Technical Director or Director of Engineering.
- A minimum of 10 years working in software engineering.
- Required experience working in data engineering and highly scalable web services. Experience with ideation to launch of data products within an organization is required.
- Strong architecture design skills especially using cloud technologies.
- Prior 5+ years of development experience in Java/EE technologies.
- Strong knowledge of Agile project management principles and how it applies to software engineering practice from development to version control, code review, artifact creation, release management.
- Knowledge of Big Data technologies such as Redshift,, Spark, , Kinesis, Athena is required.
- Knowledge of ad technologies such as Data Management Platforms (DMPs), Demand-Side Platforms (DSPs), Supply-Side Platforms (SSPs), Ad Exchanges & Real Time Bidding (RTB) is optional. strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and desire to work in a DevOps oriented software organization with the ability to design, deploy, and support a full-stack service solution in the cloud.
Why you should work for us
- Killer Perks: free lunch, free snacks, free soda, free coffee, free trips, free dental, free vision
- Casually awesome workplace - yes, flip flops and shorts are pretty much an everyday thing
- Growth, growth, growth - we are growing and we'd love for you to join us on the ride
- We also want to take care of our team so we've got profit sharing incentives, medical (100% paid option), dental (100% paid), vision (100% paid), Open/Flexible PTO, life insurance (100% paid), and 401K
- Amazing office smack dab in the middle of OC and 2 minutes off the 5 freeway
WHO WE ARE Hi there, nice to meet you! We are MobilityWare! Our mission is simple: we focus on creating fun and engaging experiences that unleash the gamer in everyone. We have an awesome culture of innovation, collaboration, and fun. Located in Irvine, California, we have won "Orange County's Best Places to Work" by both the OC Business Journal and OC Register for the past 2 years in a row. Our top-ranked free-to-play casual card games, such as Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Blackjack, FreeCell, and TriPeaks Solitaire, are consistently ranked at the top of their category on the iOS™, Android™ and Amazon™ mobile platforms. While we have been around since the dawn of the App Store, we are continuing to expand our successful portfolio with new games that delight our players. HOW IT ALL BEGAN Once upon a time, 25 years ago to be exact, Dave Yonamine and John Libby founded Upstanding, a communication software company that integrated mainframe computer systems. While the software was highly successful, innovation was in the company’s DNA and they knew they could pivot to the next frontier. So when the App Store launched in July 2008 MobilityWare had a slew of games ready to go on Day One, including Blackjack and you guessed it, Solitaire! The rest is history!