Site Reliability Engineer
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
The MongoDB Cloud Team is a diverse collection of individuals working together to provide MongoDB in the cloud at global scale. The Cloud Team is responsible for several services including MongoDB Atlas - our database as a service offering and fastest growing product, and MongoDB Stitch - our serverless platform offering that allows developers to build apps on MongoDB without managing any infrastructure.
The Cloud Site Reliability Engineering Team designs and builds the global infrastructure on which we deploy our services. As our customers grow and globalize, our services must satisfy demands for low-latency requests around the globe, and comply with various data sovereignty requirements. The SRE Team’s mission is to build this increasingly complex infrastructure, while continually lowering the operational burden associated with it, and increasing our internal visibility into the health of the system. We are strong believers in infrastructure-as-code and self-healing systems. The SRE Team is fully integrated with the Cloud Software Engineering teams - most significant features we build require new code from both “SWEs” and “SREs”, and the teams work closely together with a soft and traversable boundary between their areas of responsibility. Our infrastructure encompasses a wide variety of technologies, but we make extensive use of Go, AWS, GCP, Terraform, Chef and Prometheus.
- Design and build the infrastructure for a global cloud service that comprises hundreds of thousands of MongoDB clusters, processes a billion metrics per day, and replicates tens of billions of database writes to our backup service
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot the automation and monitoring of services that seamlessly spans the globe - including several data centers and several cloud providers
- Become an expert in MongoDB performance, helping us optimize from the application level all the way through the firmware.
- Build for resilience. Our goal is that nobody’s pager goes off, ever. Are we there yet? No. Are we really close? Very. While we work on that - participate in a weekly on-call rotation
- Improve our infrastructure capabilities, optimizing for cost, simplicity, and maintainability
- You have experience running a mission critical service at scale
- A working knowledge of information security issues
- Prior experience running critical production systems in a Linux environment
- Firm grasp of at least one modern programming language, beyond basic scripting
- Solid experience using configuration management frameworks (e.g. Chef, Puppet)
- Working knowledge of web and network protocols and standards (HTTP, TLS, DNS, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience writing automation tools & eagerness to "automate all the things"
Nice to haves
- Experience building large applications from scratch, complete with deployment tools
- Experience in networking, security, hardware or OS performance tuning
- Experience with at least one of the major cloud providers (Amazon Web Services, Google Compute, Microsoft Azure)
MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick.
At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick.
MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Opto-Mechanical Calibration Engineer
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
Junior QA Analyst
Display Mechanical Design Engineer
Fitbit, Taiwan - Taipei
Senior DevOps Engineer
Technical Project Manager/Delivery Lead
Software Engineer (SF Office)
Nylas, San Francisco